Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

2002 Impala 3.4 liter Broken Spring

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 12:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Impala 3.4 liter Broken Spring

My wife got in the driver side to go to work in the morning and we both heard the spring break. The car currently has 134,000 miles. Anyway I don't own the GM service manual on this vehicle and need the torque specifications for the stuts where they mount to the suspension on the top under the hood and for the two lower bolts down by the rack in pinion steering.

I am replacing both springs and struts, (unistrut) from Rock Auto for only $354.00 a pair. I can buy the service manual for around $125.00 but if anyone has the specifications that would help.

P.S. My wife is not overweight and I was a little suprized that the spring broke at only 134,000 miles!
Old 12-18-2007, 02:44 PM
TECH Resident

you should be able to pick up a haynes manual online or at your local auto parts dealer for like 15-20 dollars...as for torque specs...just make them tight so they don't go anywhere
Old 12-18-2007, 06:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.naioa.com

impala w-body forum
Old 01-03-2008, 07:59 AM

Smile Broken Spring Fixed

Hello:

Anyway just wanted to let the thread users know that the new unistrut came with the torque specifications which were surprisingly high for the lower two strut bolts, 144 ft pounds and surprisingly low for the top 3 nuts, 18 ft pounds. Also I had a local shop check the front end alignment for free and putting the stuts and new springs on did not throw it out of alignment so I was not charged for the alignment fee of $70.00.

Boy those unistruts with the already compressed springs make it easy. I saved $444.00 by doing the job myself. The only thing is that I had to figure out were to pry on the strut and the brake caliper in the right way in order for the bottom two bolts to line up with holes without damaging the drive shaft boot.

I would also recommend Rock Auto for an internet auto parts supplier. They beat everyone else’s prices including NAPA, CARQUEST and AutoZone does not even carry unistruts!
Old 02-25-2008, 10:40 PM

Question

I have a 2002 impala 3.4 with about 110,000 mi and the driver side coil spring broke too. It did seem like we hit any big potholes or anything noticeable. I plan on replacing with the Rock Auto Strut assemblies.

In replacing the old struts, did you just remove the two lower strut to knuckle bolts and the three upper strut nuts? Or did you also have to separate tie rod ends and/or any other components? Also any more tips on how you pried the strut from the knuckle would be appreciated.

Thanks for the post

Quick Reply: 2002 Impala 3.4 liter Broken Spring