Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Pro-kit vs. factory ss suspension.

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 07:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Pro-kit vs. factory ss suspension.

Does anybody know how the Eibach pro-kit compares to the factory billstein suspension on a ss? I am not talking about as far as handling, just ride heighth..

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 12-21-2007, 08:04 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you are going to drop a bit and it is a bit stiffer...you will take about a 1-1/4" to 1-1/2" drop if not a lil more
Old 12-21-2007, 10:05 AM
On The Tree

You're also going to need a set of shocks to drop the car with as well.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay, any recomendations on shocks anybody?
Old 12-21-2007, 12:55 PM
TECH Resident

koni seems to be what a lot of guys on here like, i have bilstein hd shocks but they arn't made for lowered cars...it is fine for me but i will be going to koni's soon
Old 12-21-2007, 12:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

are konis adjustable?

i have sportlines..i was lookin into some qa1s since there adjustable....can you change the ride hight with adj. shocks regardless of springs?
Old 12-21-2007, 02:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by stangkiller2005
are konis adjustable?

i have sportlines..i was lookin into some qa1s since there adjustable....can you change the ride hight with adj. shocks regardless of springs?
Koni SAs (single adjustable) adjust the rebound only. The DAs (double adjustable) adjust the rebound and compression, many say these are usually overkill.
As for the QA1s, read this thread:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...=815203&page=2
They are drag shocks, and if you care about ride or handling at all dont waste your time. Actually while you're are it ditch the sportlines as well, they are terrible springs.
Old 12-21-2007, 02:49 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

To add to that thinking, just check out this thread (most notably the first few posts, and those on page 3 and 4). https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/815203-question-about-stability-opinions.html

QA1's vs. Koni comparison, same car.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 12-21-2007, 03:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

^haha, I beat you to it!
Old 12-21-2007, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

what so bad bout sportlines? i dont have any complaints.....what does everybody hate bout them?
Old 12-22-2007, 12:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

what so bad bout sportlines? i dont have any complaints.....what does everybody hate bout them?
1.) They drop the car too low (you need suspension travel).
2.) For how low they drop the car, the spring rates are a joke, way too soft.
3.) Because of the reasons above, you will literally be riding the bumpstops in the rear, not good for control or comfort.
Do a search, most people who put them in take them out within the same month. I have yet to see anyone who switched them out and regretted it.
Old 12-22-2007, 04:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

well my car dosnt bottom out. i love the drop/stance. how soft they are hasnt really bothered me. and any other springs seems to high for my taiste in front. ive had them for bout a month since ive installed them. i havnt really seen any other springs that i like there drop.... i think the the only one that maybe looked good was the stran springs....but not sure @ the moment.
Old 12-22-2007, 05:16 AM
TECH Resident

so you are just looking for the look not so much for the performance aspect of the springs...look around and see who has sportlines and likes it and see what shocks they are using..i would most likely say they are using koni's or bilstein
Old 12-22-2007, 10:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

how much more better can it handle? i mean its not to bouncy to where it pisses me off, and i can hug corners like nothing! my car dosnt bottom out. i just dont see the downside to them. ive been in a car with the pro kit, and hotchkis. they both seem equally the same, but with a not as good looking stance. maybe one day ill try the whole kit out from sam strano. but for now im happy with my sportlines.
Old 12-22-2007, 01:20 PM
TECH Resident

if you are happy with them, then you are fine...but i would look into upgrading the shocks and other suspension components(ie sway bars, lca's, phr) you should already have a adj phr if you car is lowered, if not i would invest in one
Old 12-22-2007, 01:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

well my car dosnt bottom out. i love the drop/stance. how soft they are hasnt really bothered me. and any other springs seems to high for my taiste in front. ive had them for bout a month since ive installed them. i havnt really seen any other springs that i like there drop.... i think the the only one that maybe looked good was the stran springs....but not sure @ the moment.
Im not saying "too low" because of bottoming out, im saying its too low because it screws up your suspension geometry, and shocks will struggle to damper the springs. You need heads and supporting mods for a big cam right? Think of it that way, suspension is exactly the same.

how much more better can it handle? i mean its not to bouncy to where it pisses me off, and i can hug corners like nothing! my car dosnt bottom out. i just dont see the downside to them. ive been in a car with the pro kit, and hotchkis. they both seem equally the same, but with a not as good looking stance. maybe one day ill try the whole kit out from sam strano. but for now im happy with my sportlines.
If you are on stock shocks then you are living in the darkness brother, its unreal the difference Konis will make, by far my favorite mod. For what its worth, if I were to ever buy another Fbody the very first thing I do would be to put some Konis on it.
As far as your comparisons, the prokit still isnt that great, but Ive heard hotchkis is ok, but what other suspension mods did they have?
Back to the subject of handling, does your car ever snap-oversteer? Feel floaty, or twitchy?
EDIT:
Here is a direct comparison:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....64&postcount=3

Last edited by JD_AMG; 12-22-2007 at 01:34 PM.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

hmmm ill be lookin into the konis!
Old 12-23-2007, 08:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

i bought a used sportline from a friend who took it off, after putting it on mine i see y cause the only thing good bout it was my ws6 looked bad ***! i have now taken it off an got a guy buying it lol i will never lower my ws6 again cause i am goin for performance an power and not looks for good! i have had 7 99-04 mustang gt's/mach1's/and a cobra w/sportlines on them an i love the sportline on them, matter a fact from what i know all my old mustangs are still lowered! f-bodies ride like **** lowered compared to a stang!

anyways if i upgrade from my stock ws6 shocks will it ride better and help with weight distribustion/or atleast not hurt performance?
Old 12-23-2007, 09:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by archerandsons
i bought a used sportline from a friend who took it off, after putting it on mine i see y cause the only thing good bout it was my ws6 looked bad ***! i have now taken it off an got a guy buying it lol i will never lower my ws6 again cause i am goin for performance an power and not looks for good! i have had 7 99-04 mustang gt's/mach1's/and a cobra w/sportlines on them an i love the sportline on them, matter a fact from what i know all my old mustangs are still lowered! f-bodies ride like **** lowered compared to a stang!

anyways if i upgrade from my stock ws6 shocks will it ride better and help with weight distribustion/or atleast not hurt performance?
Lowering properly will dramatically increase (handling)performance.
Your car rode shitty because of my post above, the sportlines sit you on the bump stops, you get no suspension travel.
If you want to lower it buy some Strano Springs and Koni SAs.
With the Koni's alone it will improve the ride quality and handling.
Old 12-23-2007, 01:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

WORD...ya sportline lowered my car 4in's!! it might as well not had springs like u said no suspension travel