Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Modifying cast spindles

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 08:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Modifying cast spindles

This is referring to my third gen camaro. I have converted it to rack and pinion steering. The arm on the spindle that the outer tie rod connects to is so long that with the rack (that does not have as much travel as the gear box) it kills turning radius. The solution is to shorten that arm.

Now it is usually frowned upon to cut and weld cast stuff. I was talking to a guy today that builds a lot of old street rods and he told me this:

Cut off the excess length. Then heat the spindle arm untill it glows red. Use a hammer and anvil to flatten (just a little) the area to redrill for tie rod attachment. Let cool on its own. Then heat it again and let it cool on its own. Drill your hole for tie rod attachment. Heat again but this time slowly quench it with oil until it cools. He claims this will be as strong if not stronger than it was stock because now it is tempered. He said he's done it many times before. Given the quality of craftsmanship and attention to detail on the '36 Ford he drives, he seems to know what he is talking about.

What are everyone's thoughts on this?

Quick Reply: Modifying cast spindles