Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Street suspension on a budget

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Street suspension on a budget

Car is a 37k '02 Z28 thats stock. I will likely never autocross the car, I'm more of a drag racing person, car is an automatic. The car should eventually be a full bolt-on & cam car so I don't want an incredibly stiff suspension that will never hook at the track and beat me up on the street.

The car isn't as stable as I would like as higher speeds and in higher speed cornering. I think I'll go with a larger front sway bar, probably just snag a stock WS6/SS front bar. As far as shocks/springs go, I want something as inexpensive as possible but something that will make a difference. The car will likely find a 275-40-17 under it (stock 16s for now.) I'm also thinking subframes and a strut tower brace. I don't want to break the bank on shocks/springs as I'd rather put more money into go-fast-straight mods but I DO need to address the handling.

On a prevous set-up I had OEM shocks w/ SLP eibachs. I don't remember the exact drop but I thought it handled well enough and the ride was fine and the car still hooked. Is that an outdated set-up by today's standards? The car will be a nice weather daily driver, I'd expect it to rack up about 5-8k miles per year. I live in North Carolina, we have a minimum of potholes, nothing like when I lived in Jersey. Again, I'm looking for something budget minded, as I'm not trying to build the world's best handling Z28, just an upgrade from what I have now.

I'm assuming dropping it with the stock shocks will eventually kill the stockers but if its a mild drop it shouldn't be that bad. But I'm also thinking I may just want to replace it all and get a better shock/spring set-up since compressing the stock shocks will hurt the ride and improve handling less than if I goto a true performance shock. Agreed?
Old 12-25-2007, 12:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenny H
The car isn't as stable as I would like as higher speeds and in higher speed cornering. I think I'll go with a larger front sway bar, probably just snag a stock WS6/SS front bar. As far as shocks/springs go, I want something as inexpensive as possible but something that will make a difference. The car will likely find a 275-40-17 under it (stock 16s for now.) I'm also thinking subframes and a strut tower brace. I don't want to break the bank on shocks/springs as I'd rather put more money into go-fast-straight mods but I DO need to address the handling.
Let me guess, floaty and disconnected feel?
A sway bar wont help this, neither will springs. Its all shocks buddy.
The stockers give this feel because they don't have enough rebound, and it will be worse with lowering springs. Drag shocks (like qa1,strange ect.) will only make it worse.
Best advise, if you want stability and confident handling look into some Koni SAs from stranoparts.com.
If you are skeptical about the shocks do a search, I have yet to see anyone disappointed by them, IMO the BEST mod you can do to these cars.
If you do get a new front bar dont bother with an OEM one unless its free, otherwise get a hollow 35mm one.

I'm assuming dropping it with the stock shocks will eventually kill the stockers but if its a mild drop it shouldn't be that bad. But I'm also thinking I may just want to replace it all and get a better shock/spring set-up since compressing the stock shocks will hurt the ride and improve handling less than if I goto a true performance shock. Agreed?
Not even worth it, if anything get the shocks, they will make a bigger difference than springs. With the Konis your car will not only handle and feel better, but ride better too.
Old 12-25-2007, 12:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks....looking into this now....It seems like anything else is just a waste of money....thanks....