kyb agx's and a few ?'s

Old 12-27-2007, 02:10 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kyb agx's and a few ?'s

i was looking at some of these threw my work

KYB-743019
KYB 741034

my car has 100k on it and i bought replacement monroe sensa track struts but never installed them so i was gonna return these and get the kyb's

i would like to get a better set of springs for the car to maybe up the handleing and lower it 1.5in maybe but not be real bumpy/bouncy when i drive

i like the smooth stock ride, but dont want stock springs

i was told i'll need a chamber kit if i get lowering springs, what else do i need to do or should i do?

anyone have any input?
Old 12-27-2007, 07:51 AM
TECH Resident

do not get kyb shocks if you plan on lowering your car...they arn't made for that...if you are going for a good set of springs/shocks, check out stranoparts.com...i lowered mine with eibach and have bilstein shocks..it has a nice look and performs well for me...for my drop i don't really need a camber kit..but i could use one i guess...
Old 12-27-2007, 12:00 PM
TECH Junkie

What's a chamber kit? Bouncy bouncy is what you feel if the shocks can't control the springs. I have not heard too many good reviews about KYBs on aftermarket springs. A few but a lot of garbage reviews and some people who didn't care about the harsher ride. My camaro is more comfortable on strano/koni combination than my STI is stock though fwiw. Konis are pretty good shocks for aftermarket springs. I'd never put a Monroe shock on my car and I'd think twice before putting KYB's on the car to dampen stock springs, never aftermarket though
Old 12-27-2007, 12:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by z28bryan
What's a chamber kit? Bouncy bouncy is what you feel if the shocks can't control the springs. I have not heard too many good reviews about KYBs on aftermarket springs. A few but a lot of garbage reviews and some people who didn't care about the harsher ride. My camaro is more comfortable on strano/koni combination than my STI is stock though fwiw. Konis are pretty good shocks for aftermarket springs. I'd never put a Monroe shock on my car and I'd think twice before putting KYB's on the car to dampen stock springs, never aftermarket though
I think he meant to say camber kit which is what you put on Hondas and stuff when you lower them to adjust camber.

F-Bodies have solid rear axles and adjustable camber from the factory so you don't have to worry about that.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bryan04h
do not get kyb shocks if you plan on lowering your car...they arn't made for that...if you are going for a good set of springs/shocks, check out stranoparts.com...i lowered mine with eibach and have bilstein shocks..it has a nice look and performs well for me...for my drop i don't really need a camber kit..but i could use one i guess...
aren't the bilstein hd shocks for stock springs only??
Old 12-27-2007, 04:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 89Formulaws6
i was looking at some of these threw my work

KYB-743019
KYB 741034

my car has 100k on it and i bought replacement monroe sensa track struts but never installed them so i was gonna return these and get the kyb's

i would like to get a better set of springs for the car to maybe up the handleing and lower it 1.5in maybe but not be real bumpy/bouncy when i drive

i like the smooth stock ride, but dont want stock springs

i was told i'll need a chamber kit if i get lowering springs, what else do i need to do or should i do?

anyone have any input?
If you want to lower and not get a bumpy/bouncy ride you need good shocks regardless of the springs you get. If you want to improve the handling, feel, ride, and balance of the car you can do all this in one sweep with a good set of shocks. Look into some Koni SA's, then with those you have a wide selection of springs you can choose that they can damper, which the KYB's cannot.
direct comparison here:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...light=koni+kyb

Another thread:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/83761-update-kyb-agx-shocks.html
Old 12-27-2007, 05:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

A simple answer would be to get a hold of Sam Strano. Tell him what oyu need and he can provide you with what you are looking for. I myself love my koni's. That is my shock of preference for lowering a car. There are many springs to consider.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:26 PM
12 Second Club

i am only considering these because of where i work at these are the best we can get sadly, and with my bouns and over accumulation of comission i can get these for nothing.

anything is better then my 100k stock shocks right?
Old 12-27-2007, 11:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ever thought of a reason you get them for about nothing lol.

Better, maybe yes, but not for any sort of lowering springs. The min for lowering springs is revlaves and since the hds are on backorder there really hard to get.
So the cheapest is the konis 3/4 for you.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DarkhorSe_SS
aren't the bilstein hd shocks for stock springs only??

^^^
Old 12-28-2007, 02:54 AM
TECH Resident

^^^i like them, when i first started looking into lowering my car i read a lot about the bilstein shocks and how ppl liked them...put them on and they felt great...i haven't had a problem when them at all, i do race my car and i could do better with koni's but not everyone has the money to put down on them ya know.....so i went with what i thought would be good
Old 12-28-2007, 07:35 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have KYB AGX shocks and Hotchkis springs .... I wish I would've spent a little more money on shocks, maybe someday I'll swap them out for bilsteins ... they're better than stock, but not by much.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:18 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

The god's honest truth is that I'd have to recommend AGX's over the HD's for lowered cars. The AGX's simply have more oomph to control the springs than the HD's do. The "old" HD's weren't enough for a good handling car, the new ones are better in one way (more reboud in front=better, but less compression in front + more in the rear and less rear rebound=bad). So, even if HD's were around and they aren't, they are not a workable solution IMHO.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: kyb agx's and a few ?'s