Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Convince me to buy adjustable suspension components

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 11:06 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Convince me to buy adjustable suspension components

So far my only suspension mods are weld in UMI SFC. Lookin to buy some strano springs and lower control arms and relocation brackets. I was just gonna get non-adjustable lca because I don't know how to adjust them. Never seen them in person. Are they easier to figure out than what I think or should I just go ahead and get non adjustables? Also was just gonna get bolt on relocation brackets. Any good? After that I plan on moving to the torque arm and panhardrod bar. Once again though I don't know how to adjust them. Will they hurt me more than help me not knowing how to properly adjust them? Thanks
Old 12-31-2007, 11:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, you need to get the Adjustable PHB, that's a given because your wheels will be thrown off center when you lower it. You get adjustable LCA's to make up for the factory tolerances. This way you can have it pointing foreword and centered in your wheel wells. Take it to a good alignment shop and have them do a 4 wheel alignment. They can center it for you.

The torque arm can give you some problems if you don't adjust it right. It's not to bad though. Just get the angle finder for it and follow a guide.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

why would i need a adjustable panhard bar just trying to figure what i need to do the job right
Old 12-31-2007, 12:58 PM
TECH Resident

well one because a non-adj panhard is useless...an adj helps set the alignment for the rear tires to reduce side stepping in turns
Old 12-31-2007, 01:22 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

How about that most non-adjusts bind the rear in roll and I don't recommend them. And the fact the adjustables are very simple to adjust. Even if you don't do it, you get a better design for movement of the axle in roll.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 12-31-2007, 01:29 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"I was just gonna get non-adjustable lca because I don't know how to adjust them. Never seen them in person. Are they easier to figure out than what I think or should I just go ahead and get non adjustables?"

Very easy to adjust. Imagine your rear end is not centered in the wheel well, like this: |\|

You merely adjust the length of the LCA so the rear end looks like this: |||

It's as simple as turning the rod end to adjust the length, then tightening the jam nut once the length is right.
Old 12-31-2007, 02:18 PM
TECH Resident

I would definately say if you'ge going to spend the money, spend a little more and get the adjustable ones. I'm no tuner by any means, however, I have adjustable suspension parts and think it's very worthwhile. It can be a double-edged sword though. If you don't know what you're doing, you can do more harm than good until you do know. I'm learning more about the car all the time and like to tinker, so this is fine by me. If you don't want to worry about it, maybe just get the adjustable stuff, take it to a tuner, have them set it up, and don't worry about it.

Just my .02.
Old 12-31-2007, 02:40 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

All you are doing in adjusting the length of the arms. If the axle is a bit crooked in the car, which is common, you use the length to adjust that. And that's a number you get off an alignment rack. Or just set them to stock length and be happy this style doesn't bind (UMI's don't because of the rod-end, some adjustables still do because they don't use a rod-end).

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 12-31-2007, 04:00 PM
12 Second Club

So other than strength non adjustables are not worth it as far as improving traction. If I was to get adjustable lca what is the differences in double and single adjustable? Just more adjustability or is there another advantage? And correct me if i'm wrong but i'm takin it as though if I don't know how to set them up that an alignment shop should be able to do a 4 wheel alignment and based off of my intentions with the car they should be able to get it set up pretty close to what i'm looking for. And whats everyones thoughts on the [B]bolt on [B] relocation brackets? Will they do the trick or should weld on ones be used? Thanks for all the help. I want to get it right the first time and not waste money.
Old 12-31-2007, 05:53 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I did not say what you are thinking. What I said is summed up best like this: IF you are going to bother putting on alternate control arms for any reason, be it traction, the fact you want them, whatever, then those should be IMO adjustables. Can you put on non-adjusts? Yes. Will they help wheelhop if it's a control arm issue? Yes. But they also hurt the ride quality and at times the trustability of the rear of the car because they don't let the axle articulate as freely as it should. Think of an axle bolted right to the body vs. one that's allows to move a bit when you encounter a bump or pothole with just one wheel.

Old 12-31-2007, 06:02 PM
TECH Junkie

AFA adjusting them, take the car to a shop and get a 4 wheel alignment. Specifically point out to the person that the LCAs are adjustable.
AFA the panhard bar, just use a string and a weight. Hang it from the same place on each side of the car and measure the distance to the same point on each wheel. You will be surprised how far off your car is. Mine was off 13/16". It is now perfectly centered.
Old 12-31-2007, 06:27 PM
12 Second Club

Ok sorry for the missunderstanding. Thanks for the help. I think I have a pretty good idea on what i want to do.
Old 01-01-2008, 12:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

so when adjusting the panhard bar since the axle is going side to side will this also cause the driveshaft to shift a little
Old 01-01-2008, 02:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Not enough to change anything. The thing with the panhard bar is to adjust it the first time, drive it around the block, and check it again. It took me three times to get it perfect. Either BMR or UMI has instructions on their web site, they just omit this one point.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:12 AM
On The Tree

So when are double adjustable called for over single?
Old 01-05-2008, 07:22 AM
12 Second Club

When you need and will use full articulation on the rear; typically a car that sees a lot of road racing, heavy autox and doesn't mind the noise level associated with dual rod ends. Singles are good for street/occasional track as the noise level is acceptable as one end is usually poly or rubber, the other end being a rod end.
Old 01-05-2008, 08:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Well, Viper, I can't totally agree. What you are describing are rod/rod versus rod/poly. And I agree on that point, AFA the possibility of noise versus articulation.
Double adjustables are good when you need to make last minute adjustments because you make them on the car as it sits.
With a single adjustable, you have to pull a bolt and remove one end of the bar from the car to make the adjustment.
If you have a street car, chances are you adjust it the way you want it and you are done. For that, the single rod/poly is probably your best bet.
If you have an autocross/track car, you probably want rod/rod and they are usually double adjustable.
Old 01-05-2008, 08:09 AM
12 Second Club

" Double adjustables are good when you need to make last minute adjustments because you make them on the car as it sits."

Excellent point, thank you.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:51 AM
TECH Addict

I'm looking at the on car adjustable PHR's. Edelbrock also offers one that I'm considering, which appears to be on car adjustable as well.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:28 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you can afford to, get double rod ended everything. Much nicer.