Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Help me build up my rear suspension!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 11:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help me build up my rear suspension!

All I've done to the rear suspension so far is a UMI Chassis Mounted Torque Arm. The car has over 200k original miles.

Shortly after I installed the TA (set to -1.5 degrees) I started getting a popping sound on accel and decel, and what feels like some slack in the rear. The popping sound has continued to get worse ever since.

Last night, I got under the car to have a look at things. The only things I could find wrong (with the suspension loaded) was:

1. The rear control arms felt loose, especially the driver's side CA.
2. The Panhard Bar felt slightly loose.
3. I was able to cause the popping sound once by pushing up on the TA.

So I torqued down all the TA bolts and drove it. And it felt much better, but still not right.

I'm sure the bushings all need replaced, but if I'm gonna do that, I may as well beef up the rear. I just put in a new motor with ~400 rwhp, and I've got NO traction now. Eventually, the car will be seeing about 450 rwhp and will be getting a Moser 9".

I'm thinking about BMR's billet aluminum LCAs (BMR # ACA002) and a Chromoly Adjustable Panhard Bar (BMR # MPHR002). At some point, I'll be lowering it about an inch, but it's at stock height for now.

Is there anything I'm missing? Are these good parts for my setup? Any other recommendations? How can I get better traction without using DRs or slicks (don't wanna break my 10 bolt just yet)?

I know almost nothing about suspension. I did try a search, but didn't really find anything, and I'm on my smartphone, so it's kinda difficult.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:36 PM
TECH Resident

Anyone?
Old 01-03-2008, 05:58 PM
10 Second Club

I would get the BMR adj. lower control ARMs. And some coil over shocks.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:06 PM
FormerVendor

If you're looking for chrome-moly adjustable LCA's, we can help you. An adjustable panhard bar will be a must when you lower it. We offer a double adj. panhard bar and anti-roll bar as a kit that is light weight. Let me know if you have any questions.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:55 PM
TECH Resident

Unless there is some significant benefit to having adjustable LCAs, I wanted to stay with non-adjustable to simplify things. BMR was the only Billet aluminum LCAs I could find, and I'm assuming those are the lightest.

I want the lightest weight components I can get. I'm not going to be running enough power to be horribly destructive.

I'd also like to stay away from spherical rod ends and stick with bushings all around, this is a DD, not a race car. It'd be more likely to see a road course than a drag strip, also.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:46 PM
On The Tree

if u can adjust it u can move stuff around and see what it likes the best... the poping may be caused bc of the u joints. one of my friends had the same thing i belive and he replaced them and im pretty sure that it fixed it. as for if u dont want to go the solid mount way on ur suspension go with polly its alot better
Old 01-04-2008, 12:13 AM
TECH Resident

Yeah, I thought it might be the U-joints, too. Especially with so many miles. But they didn't have any excessive play.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:26 AM
12 Second Club

ive got the umi panhard bar and lca's they are awesome and fit perfectly, and i actually felt a difference and are about 130 bucks and shipping for both
Old 01-04-2008, 02:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Most people here do not like aluminum LCA's. Most people like the chrome moly for weight savings. Remember you do not want POLY/POLY rod ends for handling. Get the poly/rod.

A good set of shocks is always a good direction. 200k miles do you have stock shocks?

Good luck.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:33 AM
TECH Resident

Yep, still on the stock shocks. I'm waiting until I can afford a set of SLP Bilstiens/Hotchkis Springs.

So, the chromoly LCAs are lighter than the billet aluminum?
Old 01-04-2008, 08:38 PM
no title here

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chrome Moly is the **** man that stuff is strong and very very very light. It is the carbon fiber of steel.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:11 AM
12 Second Club

its roughly 2/3 the weight, not because the material is light, its just much stronger so they can use a thinner wall
Old 01-05-2008, 07:30 AM
FormerVendor

Moly is stronger and lighter, yes. Also, we use one end of the control arm in a delrin which is a hard plastic thats stronger than poly but still not 100% solid. The other end of the control arm is a teflon-lined rod end which is fine for street use... it doesn't make the noise that a regular rod end makes.

Adjustable is good so you can center the rear wheels in a front - back perspective. Then get an adj. phb to center the rear in a side - side perspective. Both those are usually off center, even straight from the factory.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:48 PM
12 Second Club

check out Pavlock Performance they are a sponsor--->>
Old 01-06-2008, 09:53 PM
On The Tree

Moly is the same density more or less as every other steel. Its added strength allows less of it to be used.