Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

C5 brake conversion kit...worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 07:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C5 brake conversion kit...worth it?

I was looking at the C5 brake conversion kit from UMI and wanted to know if its a big improvment over stock, worth the 800-900 dollars or if i should just save for something else? Anyone care to chime in?
Old 01-10-2008, 11:33 AM
TECH Veteran

Yeh, it is an improvement.

You can do this for less and 1K, however. Buy C5 conversion brake brackets only, C5 rotors and use the old f-body calipers and pads (or buy new f-body pads).

Since F-body caliper pistons are larger than c5 pistons, they provide more clamping force, anyway.

I also went with SS brake lines, but this is optional too.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im personally doing the c5 swap this spring (waiting till my current brakes go bad) but 800-900 bucks is stupid expensive, even for brand new parts!! not sure if they are sponsors but there is a company that sells the complete bolt on front kit for alittle over 500, they also have c6 front kits for around 1k
Old 01-10-2008, 05:50 PM
Launching!

you say complete bolt on kit...does it involve cutting the spindles?

if not pm me a link with em
Old 01-11-2008, 07:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jimmyducati
im personally doing the c5 swap this spring (waiting till my current brakes go bad) but 800-900 bucks is stupid expensive, even for brand new parts!! not sure if they are sponsors but there is a company that sells the complete bolt on front kit for alittle over 500, they also have c6 front kits for around 1k
Could you PM me the link to these guys?
Old 01-11-2008, 09:59 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You won't be able to get NEW GM C5 parts for a entire kit for under $700.00, that I am aware of?
Old 01-11-2008, 12:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

543 bucks,, includes everything from rotors, brakelines, calipers, brackets, banjo bolts, pretty complete, and i do belive it requires modding the spindle slightly, but i think they all do dont they??
Old 01-11-2008, 12:11 PM
FormerVendor

Is that with OR with out the conversion brackets?
Old 01-11-2008, 12:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

its a complete kit. open the box, jack up the car, put it on, stop real fast. ill call this evening and get more info about it.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:03 PM
Restricted User

I priced out my own kit using C5 brackets (non-sponsor sourced), C5 Z06 Calipers and PABs, Hawk pads, braided lines, and GM C5 rotors for just under $550.

I found the calipers on ebay (new in box from GM), and the rest from a non-sponsor.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by robertbartsch
Yeh, it is an improvement.

You can do this for less and 1K, however. Buy C5 conversion brake brackets only, C5 rotors and use the old f-body calipers and pads (or buy new f-body pads).

Since F-body caliper pistons are larger than c5 pistons, they provide more clamping force, anyway.

I also went with SS brake lines, but this is optional too.
With the UMI kit and the trackbrackets kit (and maybe some others), you really can't do this. The PAB holes in the conversion brackets are 14mm to line up with the C5/C6 parts. The F-body uses 12mm bolts for the PAB. They might bolt together, but you'll have a bunch of free play in the holes. Also, the larger rotor uses smaller pistons in the caliper to match the brake bias to stock. It might not be the end of the world, but there is a bit more to consider before just changing them out. The extra piston area isn't going to cause the car to explode or anything (or course ), but it's not just a matter of swapping parts without considering the rest of the package.

543 bucks,, includes everything from rotors, brakelines, calipers, brackets, banjo bolts, pretty complete, and i do belive it requires modding the spindle slightly, but i think they all do dont they??
Most all of the brackets require you to mod the spindles.

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
Is that with OR with out the conversion brackets?
Ryan, PM me, I think I know who this is from.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Trackbird,,
you said you know the company,, are they a sponsor here?? ive had 4 people pm me allready wanting the company info. would be nice if we could just post the company name.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 799 Likes on 609 Posts

Isn't it just the head of the bolt and nut that is sized differently?
Old 01-11-2008, 11:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

everything ive read on the subject of f body vs c5/c6 caliper leans twards the vette calipers being the better/more efficiant perfer. the vette calipers have more reinforcing material bridgingthe two sides, making them more ridged than the f-body calipers. the smaller piston diameter may in theory yeild less clamping force, but with the caliper being more ridged, that means more of the clamping force is going into the brake pads instead of spreading the caliper out. pluss the smaller size piston in the vette calipers gives better feedback and brake feel than the larger pistons of the f-body do.
The following users liked this post:
LS1_Z71 (04-22-2022)
Old 01-12-2008, 03:19 AM
TECH Veteran

OK, here is an inexpensive option that I followed with great results:

1. LG Motorsports brackets only - $295 ------>
2. Brembo rotors no slots, no holes $100
3. Hawk pads $80

I also did the stainless brake lines ($150) but they don't have any real performance benefit.

The LG Motorsports brakets are WAY overpriced but they do not involve any cutting of the cast iron spindles which is a real benefit over other kits.
Old 01-12-2008, 09:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

i dont know why people think the small amount of cutting to the spindle is a problem. one of my previouse riddes was a 97 ford thunderbird that i had set up for auto-x. she was atleast 5-600 pounds heavier than my camaro and that was with very little intirior. anyway, to properly put the 13" cobra brakes on the front i had to do a small amount of cutting to the spindle. i never had any problems with the setup and that car was abused when it came to braking and cornering!!! i will have absolutly no problem doing alittle surgery on the spindles to get brackets to fit, especially if im going to get better braking out of the deal
Old 01-12-2008, 09:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Trackbird:
I'm running LG Motorsports conversion brackets, C5 rotors and F-body calipers and pads. It was very easy and it has been working well for about six weeks.

I beleive one other option you could do here involves using C5 conversion brackets, C5 rotors, C5 pads and f-body calipers. This requires you to also purchase a set of factory C5 brake brackets that hold the C5 brakes.

The C5 pads are slightly larger; right?
Old 01-12-2008, 10:40 AM
FormerVendor

To anybody running this "cheap" conversion kit, did your calipers come with "Corvette" in raised letters.
Old 01-12-2008, 12:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by robertbartsch
Trackbird:
I'm running LG Motorsports conversion brackets, C5 rotors and F-body calipers and pads. It was very easy and it has been working well for about six weeks.

I beleive one other option you could do here involves using C5 conversion brackets, C5 rotors, C5 pads and f-body calipers. This requires you to also purchase a set of factory C5 brake brackets that hold the C5 brakes.

The C5 pads are slightly larger; right?
the best way imho is to use c5 everything, including calipers.

and the kit is offered with the c5 calipers that have the corvette raised letters, the price goes up alittle to 580. the calipers that come with the $540 package has the exact same PBR calipers with the companys logo engraved on the caliper insead of corvette. i think it would look better than the corvette script, but im not a huge fan of having another car name on my car.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Trackbird,,
you said you know the company,, are they a sponsor here??
Nope, not a sponsor here.

Originally Posted by wannafbody
Isn't it just the head of the bolt and nut that is sized differently?
Nope, they are different sized bolts. Trust me.

Quick Reply: C5 brake conversion kit...worth it?