Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

SFCs on Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 04:12 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SFCs on Convertible

Hey, I'm looking for some Subframe connectors for my 95 convertible. And I have read that Kenny Brown DD's are the best; however, I hear that they are no longer in production and I have not seen any for sale recently.

First of all, anyone know if I can find them somewhere? If not, which subframe connectors would be a next best?

These aren't the first thing on my list to upgrade, but I will be looking to purchase and install fairly soon.

By the way, I would prefer bolt-ins, which I can weld later. I do not have a welder, nor the skill to do it. So I would like to be able to bolt them in, then have them welded at a shop later.

Thanks!
Old 01-12-2008, 05:34 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kenny Brown shut their doors a year or so ago.

We use and highly recommend the BMR subframe connectors.
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...html?item=1272

These are a weld in design, which I do recommend. I'd find someone who is qualified to weld them in for you, and make sure the car is supported by the tires when they weld them in. This ensures the chassis is not in a stressed position. We weld subframe connectors in cars on our 4 post drive on lift for this very reason. Bob
Old 01-12-2008, 07:50 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello,

We offer a nice bolt on set that can be seen in the link below, there are many installation pictures as well.

www.umiperformance.com/2027

Also if you visit the convertible section there is a lot of positive reviews on this item.

If you have any questions please ask. Thank you!
Ryan
Old 01-12-2008, 08:08 PM
Teching In

Hmm. Both of those look interesting.

I forgot to ask in the beginning, does anybody make 3 point SFCs for convertibles?

I hear they don't make a huge difference, but with a convertible, every little bit counts.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:55 PM
Teching In

TTT.... Any 3 point SFCs on convertibles?

Also, the torque bar relocation kits are the exact same on the verts/coupes correct?
Old 01-15-2008, 02:16 PM
Teching In

Considering I haven't gotten responses in the last few days... is there a reason that it is hard to find 3 point sfcs for a convertible?

I realize that the subframes on the convertibles are stronger than the coupes, so perhaps a 3 point isn't necessary, I suppose that would be enough reason to not create a product. But that doesn't seem likely to me. Is it a lack of demand?

I'm just curious because I would like to give the convertible body a fighting chance of staying together as I begin putting more and more horsepower down. (with out putting a full rolecage in... sorry, that would look bad)
Old 01-15-2008, 04:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I do not know anybody who makes triagulated SFC for a rag top.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:21 AM
Teching In

Yeah, that was my worry. Oh well, looks like I'll be going with regulars.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:33 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The convertible chassis has additional reinforcement that the hardtop/t-top models do not have. This makes building a 3-Point SFC more difficult since there is much less room to work with.

We do have plans to eventually come out with a design that bolts in the tunnel area. However we have yet to get started on it.

We have had great luck with our 2-Point design we offer at this time.

Hope that helps,
Ryan
Old 01-17-2008, 10:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

hello, i have the BMR weld in with a SLP drive shaft safety loop which i feel adds plenty of strength. before my car would flutter or roll when i drove over bumps, now it goes and feels straight. big diff!
Old 01-17-2008, 10:18 AM
Teching In

Thanks! Yeah I do realize that any SFCs are going to be far better than having none. I just wanted to see if I could find some 3 points, while I was at it.

I am definitely going to be buying some regular SFCs because they really are necessary.

Ryan (UMI): Looks like it I'll be buying your 3 points once you get them finished! Any ideas when you might have a chance to look into them?
Old 01-17-2008, 10:48 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by DANOZ28
hello, i have the BMR weld in with a SLP drive shaft safety loop which i feel adds plenty of strength. before my car would flutter or roll when i drove over bumps, now it goes and feels straight. big diff!
Glad to hear you are happy with our products. An advantage our subframe connector offers versus others is it has multiple weld points up the entire rocker panel versus just 2.

Allan Miller
President
BMR Suspension
www.bmrsuspension.com
(813) 986-9302
Old 01-17-2008, 11:56 AM
Teching In

It looks like I will be getting the BMR weld-ins. They look pretty good. But I do plan on getting 3 points when ever they become available. But I do need to find a shop willing to do the work in my area. I just moved and don't know of any performance shops that are good. If any of you know any good shops in the San Ramon, CA area I'd love to hear about them.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:41 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

[QUOTE=95CameronHawk;8512399]But I do plan on getting 3 points when ever they become available. QUOTE]

You won't need to, the BMR sfc's work just as well as anything we have tried, and they clear exhaust systems much, much better. Bob