Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

UMI Torque Arm Questions

Old 01-13-2008, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default UMI Torque Arm Questions

1998 Trans Am with STS and lowered

Right now the car has stock headers and stock exhaust but i have a custom made y-pipe that i can put on if i have to.

I need to know what torque are to go with.

Will the Tunnel brace mounted T/A w/o DSL work with stock headers and custom y-pipe and BMR DSL (or will it not work with BMR DSL but with stock headers and custom y-pipe)

or would i have to just buy the tranny mounted and buy the relocation bracket to take it from the tranny

thanks
Old 01-13-2008, 10:58 PM
TECH Addict

this really wont answer your question but it might help out. i havent installed this yet but i do own it and will be installing soon. i bought a a tunnel brace mounted torque arm with dsl built in and cleared for long tube headers. i bought the tunnel brace mounted torque arm mainly because i bought the 3 point subframe connecters which will connect with it to tie the whole subframe together. umi does make a tunnel brace mounted torque arm that is made for stock exhaust or for certain brand headers. if it were me i would just get the tunnel brace mounted torque arm with a dsl built into it for a little extra.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks for responding.

Thats the one i want to get , the tunnel brace mounted with dsl but it says on there website that it wont work with stock headers and stock y-pipe.

I was hoping somebody would know if it will work with stock manifolds and a custom ORY-pipe.

thanks
Old 01-14-2008, 09:52 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello,

Thanks for the interest in our product

On the 98-02 models the drive shaft loop on the torque arm cross member is what hits the exhaust and the reason we state it does not work with the factory y-pipe. Many people however have confirmed with some hitting and maneuvering they have got it to clear.

With a custom y-pipe we have no way of saying yes or no on clearing. However there isn't to many systems out there that won't clear, so the chances of it not clearing are very slim. And since the vehicle is lowered, to prevent ground clearance issues I would recommend trying to get this item to work- www.umiperformance.com/2201

Please feel free to contact us with any additional questions.

Thank you!
Ryan

Search this Thread