Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Help. Koni shock install questions/front passenger shock is out and spring off

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 12:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help. Koni shock install questions/front passenger shock is out and spring off

Sorry if this has been asked elsewhere but my search isn't finding the answer.

What parts go on the front shock. My guess is the two large washers and two nuts in one sack belong to the front assembly. Is this correct?

The other sack has rubber gromments, rolled (ends are bent) washers, and 4 nuts. These are for the rear shocks right?

Jeez, the instructions with these are terrible! I hate when they throw a few sketches in a box and tell you they are instructions!

Edit: Also, does anyone have the torque numbers for everything I'm putting back together? I remember someone had a link to correct torque for everything on a f-body, but I don't remember which thread......

Last edited by AlwaysThinkin; 01-26-2008 at 01:18 PM.
Old 01-26-2008, 02:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes the package with the rolled washers / rubber grommets etc. are for the rear. Each side uses 2 nuts to secure the shocks, just tighten the first one, then hand tighten the second one... thats what i did. I was just searching for the torque specs too but i couldn't find them. If it makes you feel any better, I just made them tight as i thought they should be and have had no issues for the months ive been running them. Not recommended for sure, but it worked...
Old 01-26-2008, 02:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by hpjunky98
Yes the package with the rolled washers / rubber grommets etc. are for the rear. Each side uses 2 nuts to secure the shocks, just tighten the first one, then hand tighten the second one... thats what i did. I was just searching for the torque specs too but i couldn't find them. If it makes you feel any better, I just made them tight as i thought they should be and have had no issues for the months ive been running them. Not recommended for sure, but it worked...
Thanks again!

Yeah, I just went ahead and used the large heavy washer on the front but was holding off actually putting it back in the car until I heard something from someone with some knowledge. I'm headed outside now and will give a post when done. (Unless I end up with more questions first!)
Old 01-26-2008, 04:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

good luck with the fronts. The bolt on top of the shock on the passenger side is often rusted.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by hpjunky98
good luck with the fronts. The bolt on top of the shock on the passenger side is often rusted.
Go figure, mine was exactly the opposite. I started with the passenger side after reading about the rust on that side (prefer doing the worst thing first) and it was practically pristine. The driver side, however, looks like the ones in the write-ups. It's soaking in some pb blaster overnight and I hope it helps.

Otherwise, I'm not sure what to do next. Tried taking a hacksaw to the center post and it just acted like a dog on ice!

If anyone has suggestions......
Old 01-28-2008, 11:50 AM
11 Second Club

I just used a skilsaw with a carbide metal cutting blade and cut the old shock, those damn bolts would NOT come off.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yep. Both of the bolts were rusted on mine. Turned a pretty easy job into a damn hard one.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:57 PM
TECH Regular

i just bought two new mounts from strano, and then bought the lower isulator and upper isulator from gm.

tony
Old 01-30-2008, 03:42 PM
Banned

get someone to use a pair of vicegrips to hold the bar (piston) that the nut screws on too. you might have to cut that plastic cup thing thats inbetween the spring and the shock, but once you do you can easily stick some pliers through there to get a good hold on the "piston" thing. once tightly gripped, you can easily unscrew that nut.

this is where i had to call in help to hold the strut while i tried to unscrew the nut. much easier with one person holding the strut and the vicegrips(holding the piston) and you on the nut
Old 01-30-2008, 03:55 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS699TA
get someone to use a pair of vicegrips to hold the bar (piston) that the nut screws on too. you might have to cut that plastic cup thing thats inbetween the spring and the shock, but once you do you can easily stick some pliers through there to get a good hold on the "piston" thing. once tightly gripped, you can easily unscrew that nut.

this is where i had to call in help to hold the strut while i tried to unscrew the nut. much easier with one person holding the strut and the vicegrips(holding the piston) and you on the nut
I tried this and ended up ripping the metal apart, that nut was NOT coming off...don't be afraid to cut that old crappy shock...the bare metal part not the orange shock body
Old 01-30-2008, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

I finally uploaded a picture of the rear setup showing the bolt orientation. Dunno if you finished or not but hope it helps someone.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:01 PM
TECH Regular

wow, i've only got 3 or 4 threads showing above the double nuts on the rear konis that i just installed.

maybe i should tighten them some more?!?!

i only have a small amount of deflection in the bushing.

tony
Old 01-31-2008, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Haven't had any issues with the way i have it, but you might be fine.

Quick Reply: Help. Koni shock install questions/front passenger shock is out and spring off