Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Is This What a "Warped" Rotor Looks Like?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 07:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Is This What a "Warped" Rotor Looks Like?

I read in a Stoptech article that rotors don't really warp, they just get uneven deposits. I don't know if I believe that exactly, but they showed something like this as what causes a rotor to be uneven.

What do you think?
Old 03-01-2008, 08:12 PM
On The Tree

"Similarly, even if the brakes are properly broken, if, when they are very hot or following a single long stop from high speed, the brakes are kept applied after the vehicle comes to a complete stop it is possible to leave a telltale deposit behind that looks like the outline of a pad. This kind of deposit is called pad imprinting and looks like the pad was inked for printing like a stamp and then set on the disc face. It is possible to see the perfect outline of the pad on the disc"

Given this paragraph it sure looks like you have a pad imprint caused by a hard stop and then the pad sitting on the hot rotor.

I'm not sure I completely believe that a warped rotor is just deposits either. Brake rotors can get VERY hot and metal CAN warp from heat.
Old 03-01-2008, 08:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by vMaster0fPuppets
I read in a Stoptech article that rotors don't really warp, they just get uneven deposits. I don't know if I believe that exactly, but they showed something like this as what causes a rotor to be uneven.

What do you think?
The problem is that there are those who misconstrue the article as saying that rotors don't warp, which in reality, it's mentioning how improper bedding leads to either excessive runout and rotor warping can be caused by this. While those who develop brake shudder can have warped rotors, it's often due to improper/uneven bedding, which leads to excessive runout.

The pics like you posted appear to be a result of that.

AFA Warping rotors, It definitely can happen. I've warped many, mostly on the track.
Old 03-02-2008, 11:15 AM
TECH Resident

I don't understand how improper bedding would cause this to happen on only one rotor.

I actually went through a bedding procedure, and this still happened.

Can this be fixed?
Old 03-02-2008, 11:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Warped rotors usually lead to vibration when stopping from high speeds or a shudder when braking lightly.

Also they will occur later in life of the rotor and pads. Not near the beginning of life of a rotor pad combo. If the rotor's are new or the pads are new, scratch up the rotor with a low grit sandpaper just to rough up the surface and go through the bedding procedure again. Drive for a day or two under normal conditions. If the rotors are warped, this procedure will pretty much expose it while driving normally and just stopping from highway speeds. If it's not warped then this will fix it and you'll know you just had excessive buildup of material.

Also note that if you don't torque your tires properly, this can lead to improper brake wear as well. Check your pads if they are level or have excessive wear to to the front oriented or rear oriented side of the pad.
Old 03-02-2008, 02:57 PM
TECH Resident

To my surprise, my pads looked fine. They have quite a few more miles on them then the rotors do though.

I've had three different rotors on that particular wheel warp one me. No rotor on any other wheel has warped. Does this say anything?

I always torque the lugs to 100 ft lbs. I get a bunch of **** from my dad for whipping out the torque wrench, and I can't convince him its a good idea.
Old 03-02-2008, 03:09 PM
TECH Resident

I would say there is something wrong with that caliper. Maybe the slider pins are stuck.
Old 03-02-2008, 04:15 PM
TECH Resident

I checked the slider pins, they move freely. I also pulled out the piston to rebuild the caliper, but the seals were perfectly intact and there didn't seem to be a problem with it.

Quick Reply: Is This What a "Warped" Rotor Looks Like?