See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering and Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

whats the best powersteering fluid??

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 05:59 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default whats the best powersteering fluid??

hey guys after having a nice canyon run yesterday i noticed even with my additional frame rail power steering cooler my pump still got a bit hot mostly due to me not putting the holes in my front air dam yet! i also noticed my power steering fluid seemed like it was water after about 35 miles of canyon driving! what fluid would you guys say would be an excellent fluid to keep its color and weight after heating up? i used to have the Lucas power steering fluid witch is really really thick but never had the chance to really take it to the canyons before i blew my cooler line due to a bad clamp! would you guys say the lucas fluid would be good to use? or is it too thick for the pump under high pressure and use? i also noticed my pump was quieter with that fluid in it!
Old 03-06-2008, 09:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would research and see what the NASCAR guys use. I don't even know if they have power steering. Correct me if im wrong.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PM bayerz28. I know he has had the same problems as you but I forgot ho he fixed it.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Either Joe Gibbs or Redline.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:11 AM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

I know this is not the answer you were looking for, but you should look into a Turn One power steering pump.

You will never regret it. It lowers the pumping pressures, thus lowering the pumping losses and heat built up. It also gives better steering feed back due to the lower assist. I love mine.

Some info on it here.

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...all/index.html
Old 03-07-2008, 06:39 AM
TECH Addict

Any approved fluid is fine
Old 03-07-2008, 06:56 AM
TECH Regular

Redline is the best. If you're not doing RR/Auto-x and getting the fluid really hot, it's not that big of a deal, but Redline synthetic is the best (what I run).
Old 03-07-2008, 09:30 AM
TECH Junkie

I was considering the Turn One pump too, but I decided to try to cheaper route first and do the Redline power steering fluid.

I do a light form of road racing and autocrossing. Originally my steering was whining after only one run/lap. Last year I changed to Redline. I didn't even do a complete flush. I just siphoned out the old fluid, put in Redline, turned my wheel back and forth, and then repeated this step like 2 more times. I didn't get any whine whatsoever even after like 8 laps or runs during the day.

I would try just changing to Redline first. If that doesn't solve you problem, go with a PS cooler or the Turn One. Can't hurt. I saved myself about 250+ bucks by not buying the pump.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:18 PM
Banned

wow thats great im gonna go give the redline fluid a try, but do u guys think i should put holes in my front air dam like this? for the power steering cooler.

Name:  ps5.jpg
Views: 2038
Size:  9.4 KB
Old 03-07-2008, 04:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

i use to use automatic transmission fluid for Power steering fluid in my 76' Plymouth Volare'
but i do not recommend doing that on your car or any newer car for that matter

i would try redline or royal purple power steering fluid, but if you have the extra doe go with the Turn One's Power Steering Pump
Old 03-07-2008, 07:36 PM
Banned

yea not ready for the turn one until mine gives out, but i will get the redline fluid for now and maybe put those holes but i dont know im not sure yet!
Old 03-07-2008, 11:23 PM
TECH Regular

I would be very careful about putting any holes in the air dam. First off, 4th gens don't have PS to air coolers. The factory cooler mounts in the upper radiator hose and is PS to coolant. If you remove too much of the air dam, you will not get enough air into the radiator. Remember: for any air to get to the radiator, it has to hit the air dam. Cutting holes only reduces the amount of air the radiator gets.

I would say start with Redline fluid and see if you have a problem. Many people are good with just Redline with no cooler. If that is not enough, add the factory PS to coolant cooler. Cheap, easy to install, and you don't have to make any permanent mods.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mojave
I would be very careful about putting any holes in the air dam. First off, 4th gens don't have PS to air coolers. The factory cooler mounts in the upper radiator hose and is PS to coolant. If you remove too much of the air dam, you will not get enough air into the radiator. Remember: for any air to get to the radiator, it has to hit the air dam. Cutting holes only reduces the amount of air the radiator gets.

I would say start with Redline fluid and see if you have a problem. Many people are good with just Redline with no cooler. If that is not enough, add the factory PS to coolant cooler. Cheap, easy to install, and you don't have to make any permanent mods.
Good solid advice here!!
Old 03-10-2008, 02:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mojave

i have added a aftermarket air to fluid cooler on my car, i could have only imagined what could have happened to my rack and pump going through the canyans without this cooler! but yea as for the holes, the radiator is what i was a bit worried about, i wanted as much air to the radiator and mostly my FTRA but the holes for the cooler wouldent cause that much of a air flow problem since it passes through the fins, its just goin to slow down airflow a little bit, but thanks for the advice!
Old 03-10-2008, 03:46 AM
TECH Addict

If I wanted to flush my PS fluid with the redline whats the best way to do that on my 01 SS.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Just start with the Redline fluid and see how it works for you. If that fixes your problem like it fixed mine, then that's a lot of money and work saved
Old 05-27-2008, 06:03 PM
Banned

like z28bryan said in a previous post "just siphon out the old fluid (use a turkey baster), put in Redline, turn wheel back and forth, and then repeat this step like 2 more times."
Old 07-08-2008, 12:58 AM
TECH Resident

I"ve heard some people say redilne is great and some people say lucas? when your siphoning out the fluid, shoudl the car be on or just have the key on power?
Old 07-08-2008, 01:18 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by xRelapse13
I"ve heard some people say redilne is great and some people say lucas? when your siphoning out the fluid, shoudl the car be on or just have the key on power?
No! The car should be off, key off, everything off. You are just getting the fluid out of the reservoir. After you fill it back up, then drive the car a bit and repeat. This will let you change out most of the fluid without pulling off a line and draining it.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:20 PM
TECH Resident

oh ok thanks alot man

Quick Reply: whats the best powersteering fluid??