Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Hawk Pads

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 03:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hawk Pads

I installed my new Hawk pads last night on my 00 Formula with C5 brakes. I did the fronts, but I couldn't get the pads to clear the anti-rattle shims. Is this a normal thing with Hawk pads? All I did was remove the anti-rattle shims, and the pads went right in. I'd assume this is alright, since all those shims do is prevent rattling, correct?

Thanks for any help.
Old 04-05-2008, 05:55 PM
TECH Resident

did you compress the pistons? You shouldn't have any problem.
Old 04-05-2008, 10:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

do hawk pads eat rotors? are they super hard? i have to do a break change very soon my rotors are warped and cause my car to shimmy i want cross drilled slotted rotors but i was worried that the hawk pad my wear them out prematurely
Old 04-06-2008, 12:07 AM
TECH Addict

Ive heard of the Hawk ceramic pads eating up the rotors.....but nothing about the HPS pads
Old 04-06-2008, 12:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Any high performance race-type pad is going to be harder on the rotors than a street pad. They will also dust more, however the Hawk HPS and Ceramic pads are very easy on rotors. The Hawk HP Plus pads will eat up rotors and dust more, but they are more of a race type pad.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by yeller_xtc
do hawk pads eat rotors? are they super hard? i have to do a break change very soon my rotors are warped and cause my car to shimmy i want cross drilled slotted rotors but i was worried that the hawk pad my wear them out prematurely
I have had the HPS pads for months with no problems.

Bill
Old 04-06-2008, 11:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LT1-DAN
Any high performance race-type pad is going to be harder on the rotors than a street pad. They will also dust more, however the Hawk HPS and Ceramic pads are very easy on rotors. The Hawk HP Plus pads will eat up rotors and dust more, but they are more of a race type pad.
Agree.
Old 04-06-2008, 11:16 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by yeller_xtc

I bought the drilled and slotted rotor and hawk pad kit from ws6store.com for like 350 and I love them. No premature wear on mine. I have about 20,000 miles on them. Took a day or two for them to completley break in but no biggy. I will order these again thats for sure. My stock rotors were so warped its not even funny so I can see were your coming from. I still had life on my stock pads though. I havent had any issues with the rotors warping or cracking either. And also these pads keep my wheels cleaner then the stockers did. I think theres 2 different hawk pads but I dont know witch ones actually come with but I love them and will deffinatley buy them again. Buy the way I replaced my stockers at 30,000 miles and they were warped after 10,000 miles. I did do alot of hard braking at the drag strip though.

Quick Reply: Hawk Pads