Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Thinking about Koni shocks

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 06:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about Koni shocks

Here is the scenario...I am planning out my suspension for a semi-daily driver. I will be putting in a Procharged 383 in about a year or so, but I'm building up my suspension and drive line first. I need something that is good for the street and track and I understand that is going to be a compromise.

I currently have Bilstein HD shocks with an Eibach Prokit. I like having the lowered car and I've read a LOT of good things about the Konis. I've read they are not that bad for drag racing either. Would you all agree on that? Some recommend the QA1s, but like I said, it will be a semi-daily, meaning fair weather, driver with some track duty..maybe 5-6 times a year.

I would also like a recommendation on sway bars. Are Straino hollow bars good for drag? Thanks a bunch!
Old 05-03-2008, 06:22 AM
TECH Regular

I just threw KONI SAs all around my car (daily-driven '00 SS). Now, I feel incredibly stupid for not doing it eight years ago!
Old 05-05-2008, 01:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Fran D
I just threw KONI SAs all around my car (daily-driven '00 SS). Now, I feel incredibly stupid for not doing it eight years ago!
Good deal..So anyone think the Konis are not bad for drag racing?
Old 05-05-2008, 06:31 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

They don't hurt a street car that's dragged a bit. More than one person 60'ed faster with them then with their old shocks (and old shocks includes everything from stock to "drag" shocks).

Would I use Koni Sports on a full blown drag car? No... I'd use Koni Drag shocks (which they do make) and they also tell you are not meant for street use, and are quite adamant about it. And they should be because a true drag shock does not function as a control damper should.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 05-06-2008, 01:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sounds good...I considered the usual drag shocks, but I do want my street manners more than track performance so I'm willing to make that compromise.
Old 05-06-2008, 03:30 PM
TECH Addict

I DD my car and I love my Koni's.
Old 05-06-2008, 03:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by raptorws6
I DD my car and I love my Koni's.
How do you like them at the drag strip?
Old 05-08-2008, 09:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Alright, new question....how low would it be if I put it on the lower spring perch with my Pro-Kit? Too low?
Old 05-09-2008, 03:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Koni shocks kick ***.They are worth every penny.Strano hollow sway bars are cool.
.For drag racing,dont know about the sway bars for that.I wanted an all around car.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:45 PM
On The Tree

I have them on stock springs and love them. I've found that they have to be set pretty soft on Michigan roads. Anyone know what you should change the adjustment to for drag racing? Or will it not making any difference? Like firming up the passenger side more than the driver side rear? I will be going to the track next week. They weren't bought for drag racing, but if there is a better adjustment for drag racing what would it be with these shocks?
Old 05-09-2008, 09:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RedRyder518
Alright, new question....how low would it be if I put it on the lower spring perch with my Pro-Kit? Too low?
with the pro-kit, you're already limiting your suspension travel by a LOT. putting the fronts on the lower perch on top of that would probably have you riding on the bump stops all the time.

not a good idea.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RedRyder518
How do you like them at the drag strip?
I haven't noticed any problems at the track.
Old 05-10-2008, 06:11 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by transampimp
...Anyone know what you should change the adjustment to for drag racing? Or will it not making any difference? Like firming up the passenger side more than the driver side rear? I will be going to the track next week. They weren't bought for drag racing, but if there is a better adjustment for drag racing what would it be with these shocks?
If they are SAs, and you're only setting rebound, I don't think there's any benefit to adjusting the rears. I have the rears on full soft, regardless. For the fronts, though, you should go full soft for drag racing (and either drop the front sway bar or remove an end-link).

Quick Reply: Thinking about Koni shocks