Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Koni's + Strano's installed my thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 08:24 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Koni's + Strano's installed my thoughts

I have just completed installing my HP1 kit form SAM Strano, and I would like to share my story and thoughts on this setup.

First of I got some C6 wheels, but once installed the car just didn't look right (4x4). Hose mod was done, that levelled the back but it still looked like a truck. I have cut springs before on other cars, so why not this one... I cut one coil one each corner, yielding a 1” drop. Well let me tell you my rear bump stops where acting as my shocks and my frame was acting as my springs. My woman complained about the ride so I could now justify the Koni / Strano set up. I installed the kit about a week ago and have driven the car several times since then. Fronts are 4 from full hard and backs are full soft.

I find the ride quite firm at low speeds below 50mph, but after that speed I can feel the car is hitting the bumps quite hard but I don’t feel the bumps?? Very strange feeling, the closest thing I could compare it to is an M5. As for the handling… WTF!! At what speed can I make this thing slide, windy back road speeds increased 35mph, and I could just barely hear the rear tires starting to complain.

Overall I am happy with the new set up, but I would like it to ride a touch smoother for my tastes, but I can’t have all the candy in the bowl! One point I would like to express is the preciseness of the springs, before with my cut springs (and I cut them exactly the same) the car was off by 1/4” in one corner and 1/2” in the opposite corner. Now the car is dead level front and back.

Before:

After:

Old 05-06-2008, 09:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel the same way about my car. Handling is vastly improved and the only time i have been able (so far) to get my car to slide, and it didnt slide very much at all was taking a 90* turn at close to 45mph. But the sliding i think had more to do with the cheap tires i bought with a softer sidewall than i would prefer. My fronts are at the same setting as yours are but my back shocks are one full turn from soft. I need to get back there and soften them up a half turn or so.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:06 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by WS6_MAC
I have just completed installing my HP1 kit form SAM Strano, and I would like to share my story and thoughts on this setup.

First of I got some C6 wheels, but once installed the car just didn't look right (4x4). Hose mod was done, that levelled the back but it still looked like a truck. I have cut springs before on other cars, so why not this one... I cut one coil one each corner, yielding a 1” drop. Well let me tell you my rear bump stops where acting as my shocks and my frame was acting as my springs. My woman complained about the ride so I could now justify the Koni / Strano set up. I installed the kit about a week ago and have driven the car several times since then. Fronts are 4 from full hard and backs are full soft.

I find the ride quite firm at low speeds below 50mph, but after that speed I can feel the car is hitting the bumps quite hard but I don’t feel the bumps?? Very strange feeling, the closest thing I could compare it to is an M5. As for the handling… WTF!! At what speed can I make this thing slide, windy back road speeds increased 35mph, and I could just barely hear the rear tires starting to complain.

Overall I am happy with the new set up, but I would like it to ride a touch smoother for my tastes, but I can’t have all the candy in the bowl! One point I would like to express is the preciseness of the springs, before with my cut springs (and I cut them exactly the same) the car was off by 1/4” in one corner and 1/2” in the opposite corner. Now the car is dead level front and back.
I'd ask about a few things:

Q:
1. How much air in the tires?
2. How much more do the wheels/tires you have now weight vs. stock?
3. Do you still have your bumpstops spacers on in the rear?

A:
1. Many run far too much air in the tires. Somewhere around 30 psi is about all you need, running more than you need simply makes the tire less compliant
2. Unsprung weight is the enemy, it's like running in combat boots, the car's "boots" are heavy and clunky and much like you drag your feet in heavy boots the car acts the same way when it hits bumps. Most wheels like you have add unsrung weight.
3. I recommend running standard Z28/Formula bumpstop setup, which is different stops and no spacer. The standard stops are much more progressive and don't spike the wheel rate when you run into them like the WS6/SS stuff does.

And last but not least, tire sidewalls flex and are a big part of suspensions. You have much less than you had before, adn that means the spring rate of the tire increased as well. I recommend staying on 17" wheels whenever possible because the bigger you go, the less tire compliance you have.

I'm glad you're happy overall, and the car sure looks good. But think about the above things, maybe try a few along with play with shock settings a bit and see if you can't dial it in a little more. There is no 100% bolt on perfect solution for everyone, I think we get pretty close but each situation varies based on taste, use of the car, etc.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 05-06-2008, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

looks 10x better now!
Old 05-06-2008, 03:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Your car looks great!
Old 05-06-2008, 03:34 PM
TECH Addict

Looks real good man.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Looked good before, now it looks GREAT....I need to save to get this kit
Old 05-06-2008, 05:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

car looks great now. I had the same problem I was at stock ride height and bought 18" C6's all around. I had the biggest 4x4 look so then i went with a strano setup aswell. I have no problems at all with ride problems like you speak of, The ride quality is great!
Old 05-06-2008, 06:25 PM
On The Tree

Thanks SAM,

I am running 35PSI now, I will try 30 and see what happens. Should I go 1 turn up in the rear so that the rears are less likley to sink into bumps?
Old 05-06-2008, 07:25 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

No, just do the pressures.... And adding shock is adding rebound (slowing the extension), it is not slowing compression so you probably won't like adding more rear shock, it won't soften the ride.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 05-07-2008, 07:15 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you still use the hose mod with the new springs or put the spacers/boots back in?

Looks great!!
Old 05-07-2008, 07:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

looks great. Welcome to the club.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:37 PM
TECH Veteran

I'll be joining this club soon enough, lol

Thanks for the review....damn I want this kit!
Old 05-07-2008, 05:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ws6pewter
Did you still use the hose mod with the new springs or put the spacers/boots back in?

Looks great!!
No hose mod I just reused the stock rubber pieces on both sides.

Thanks for the complements guy's, I noticed alot of people staring today, especially the Honda folk!

I did notice today that the car is slightly smother it could be the that the weather is getting warmer??
Old 05-07-2008, 05:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WS6_MAC
I did notice today that the car is slightly smother it could be the that the weather is getting warmer??
you're going crazy man. hehe. i've been perceiving that as happening too but not just during day time. the days when temp was around 80+, the car seemed smoother from morning till night time.

could be you just filled up gas? i'm starting to think this is helping the ride comfort when the tank is over 1/2 full but more so around the 3/4 mark. i don't have a spare in the back.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the shocks do get slightly softer with heat.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:44 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Plus the interior noises are lessened when warm ... giving the impression overall that the car is less harsh hitting the bumps.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you want it to ride a touch smoother, just turn down the stiffness up front by a 1/4 turn or two.....mine is actually set at (i think) 4, 4.5, or 5 sweeps from full soft up front, and it rides and handles awesome.

still firm, but not harsh at all, unless it's a REALLY big bump, which will happen regardless of the shocks you have on there.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:11 PM
On The Tree

Changed Tire preasure from 35 to 30 and noticed a world of difference. Also noticed that 1/2 tank a gas wil ride better than a full tank. I think Sam is right I need to get some Z28 bump stops. Anybody got some that they are willing to part with.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:12 AM
TECH Addict

perfect stance!

Quick Reply: Koni's + Strano's installed my thoughts