Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

suspension help

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 10:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default suspension help

Hey guys,
My plans for this car are to be a ocasional drag car, but more of a corner carver.
I know i'm gonna need bigger sway bars and shocks, what other kinda things am I going to need and what would you guys recommend?
thanks for the help.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

search is your friend

www.stranoparts.com

call him and talk to him about it, he will recommend parts based on what you tell him you expect out of the car.

Personally a good start:

1) Koni 4/3 Shocks
2) Strano Sway Bars
3) UMI Adj. Panhard bar (needed if you lower the car)
4) Strano Springs (LT1 Pro-kit if you can't wait until june for stranos)

granted you may want to do the springs at the same time as the shocks so you don't ahve to do the same job twice.

all of the above will really improve your corner carving ability without really hurting your drag launch (the springs hurting it the most of the above parts)
Old 05-06-2008, 11:08 PM
TECH Resident

thanks alot man, i'll be sure to give sam a call, i did do a few searches but i just wanted a more personalized response, because in searches what i've seen is more either drag cars or dedicated track cars.
What I want is a corner carver while still being a daily driver.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

how does lowering the car hurt your launch?

i was always under the impression that lowering springs reduced your 60ft times because they reduced suspension travel. and the stiffer spring rate helped you get off the line better as well. the only thing is you didnt want to stiff a spring rate because then it caused wheel hop

Last edited by 96ta; 05-07-2008 at 01:17 AM.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Wrong.

You want the suspension to travel in a drag launch. You want the front to lift and the back to squat, this is weight transfer, and it helps with traction to the rear. Lowering springs hurt this is two ways. They have less travel, so that is less you can squat, they also have a higher spring rate taht resists this squat. It is also possible to generate a wheel hop condition after lowering. This is certainly not always the case, but it is possible. LCA relocation brackets should take care of it if you do get that problem.

They do not always hurt your 60' depending on what you were running before.

I would say the springs are also teh only above item that will hurt you in drag. The front sway bar can be easily disconnected for runs at the track, and the rear will only help you launch straighter.

Also, as far as DD ride quality, I thought the car rode comparably to stock with my pro kit and koni. I have my koni set about in the middle on the front and full soft in the rear. The ride is definitely firm, but not bad, I think I am going to go up a little on the front (stiffer). Once again, the springs are really the only thing listed above that is going to hurt your ride quality. The rear sway bar may just slightly, but again, only slightly. The Koni shocks alone will only help your ride quality unless you have them set to an extreme, I.E. full hard on both ends.