Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Fbody and autox?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 05:12 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fbody and autox?

How does the Fbody do in auto crossing? (I know it comes down to the driver)
Suspension wise, quick nimble handling etc...
Old 05-14-2008, 06:41 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

3 of 4 my SCCA Solo National Championships are in f-bodies. 2 of my 3 SCCA ProSolo titles are in f-bodies. They do just fine as long as you build them properly and don't hose yourself on classing (which many folks do with mods that don't help).

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 05-15-2008, 12:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Focus on driving, suspension, driving, alignment, driving, tires and driving. You don't need more power. You don't need better brakes. You don't need chassis stiffening. Just drive it, perhaps replace the shocks, some springs, swaybars, get some race tires. But, driving it is what helps the most and is the cheapest.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:01 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
They do just fine as long as you build them properly and don't hose yourself on classing (which many folks do with mods that don't help).
That right there is all you need to know.

The rational part of my brain keeps telling me that I should really get a car more "suitable" for this kind of thing. The rest of my brain says driving these things through the cones is just too damn much fun.

Besides, which looks cooler?

This....

or this?

That's what I thought.
Old 05-15-2008, 04:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Fbody is a great autox competitive car for stock class and street prepared classes. It's street touring class and SM it's not so competitive in.

Not to mention all the compliments you get from everyone at the event. I drive with the local BMW club and they love seeing and hearing my car out there
Old 05-15-2008, 04:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Good point, Bryan. I'll also add that I have never attended an event when my car was classed in CP that I haven't been told how wonderful it sounds and cool it looks.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 00 Trans Ram
Good point, Bryan. I'll also add that I have never attended an event when my car was classed in CP that I haven't been told how wonderful it sounds and cool it looks.
it may be true...but they're also buttering you up to get you to come back and stay hooked on auto xing with them.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by caliswangin916
it may be true...but they're also buttering you up to get you to come back and stay hooked on auto xing with them.
Nah.. what they speak is the truth and it's how they feel deep in their heart

Any of the v8 cars pretty much tend to turn heads and get the compliments. Between the corvettes, the fbody cars, even the Audi RS4 or S4's.... hell I thought I heard a corvette behind me and turned around and it was an Audi!
Old 05-16-2008, 11:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

ive seen some pretty amazing auto x f bodys, just depends on the suspension setup and tires. im actually going this route myself rather than a track car. it will be based mostly on suspension, but it will also be a mildy built full bolt-on car as well.
Old 05-16-2008, 03:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by lt1noob
ive seen some pretty amazing auto x f bodys, just depends on the suspension setup and tires. im actually going this route myself rather than a track car. it will be based mostly on suspension, but it will also be a mildy built full bolt-on car as well.
Be sure to check out the scca rulebook before you do. Look up street prepared modifications allowed. It pretty much allows springs, shocks, swaybars, clutch, most engine bolt-ons, wide wheels and tires with minor fitment modification (see rules).

Or.. you can read the GM high performance article on Sam's car and figure out what he's using exactly and use that as a template
Old 05-16-2008, 04:08 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

A well setup autox car is very good on a track, and the way I do it also very streetable. In fact our lowering springs are directly derived from what I use in my car to autox on.

And while he can read the GMHTP article...he can also just call me. I don't hide my setup from anyone, even my competitors.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 05-16-2008, 04:12 PM
TECH Junkie

I only noticed that article a few weeks ago. I was pretty suprised to see you only use Hawk HPS pads on your car while everyone else has the big boy race pads or at least HP+ setups. I think you mentioned it helps prevent over-braking in sweepers which makes sense. I probably do it a lot and it makes my car all outta whack, taking the not so ideal route through the turn
Old 05-16-2008, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

yea and sams car is bascially what ill be wanting in the future, a very nice handling car, yet something streetable that i can take for a cruise on a nice day during the weekend. im not necessarily going to be competeing so the scca rule book doesnt make much of a difference . as cheesy as this may sound but sams car actually is quite an inspiration to my car.
Old 05-16-2008, 06:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

also with the unbeatable customer service, good prices and surprisingly quick shipping (got all my parts except the kybs already) ill be buying all my suspension parts from him, so i know ill be getting the right parts.

plus hes a UMI dealer

Last edited by lt1noob; 05-16-2008 at 06:39 PM.
Old 05-17-2008, 01:47 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by z28bryan
I only noticed that article a few weeks ago. I was pretty suprised to see you only use Hawk HPS pads on your car while everyone else has the big boy race pads or at least HP+ setups. I think you mentioned it helps prevent over-braking in sweepers which makes sense. I probably do it a lot and it makes my car all outta whack, taking the not so ideal route through the turn
This makes perfect sense to me!

I would have been suprised if Sam used HP+es (or more radical) for autocrossing, even on 'big'/open courses like the nationals!!
I think he even used the street PBRs he sells on smaller/tighter lower speed courses??
Sam?
Old 05-17-2008, 04:37 PM

I went to an AutoX event last summer and the best time was an LT1 Camaro with a Strano suspention set up. Koni shocks, Strano Springs & sway bars.

Quick Reply: Fbody and autox?