Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Front Sway Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 10:12 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Front Sway Questions

Well I bought a rear sway bar (BMR) for a damn good deal not to pass up, and I put it on since I was putting my 9inch in. But after driving it hard around a corner yesterday I noticed MASSIVE understeer, which I'm guessing is from a stock front sway bar and aftermarket rear.

My question is what is my options? Ive heard of bad things about a 32MM front? Heard a 35 is alot better but I cant find any 35MM's

So what are some of you running?
Old 05-15-2008, 10:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Strano makes a 35mm hollow bar (www.stranoparts.com) and so does Suspension Techniques (except it's solid) if you are on a tight budget.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Grn4fbody
Well I bought a rear sway bar (BMR) for a damn good deal not to pass up, and I put it on since I was putting my 9inch in. But after driving it hard around a corner yesterday I noticed MASSIVE understeer, which I'm guessing is from a stock front sway bar and aftermarket rear.

My question is what is my options? Ive heard of bad things about a 32MM front? Heard a 35 is alot better but I cant find any 35MM's

So what are some of you running?
If your car is a real SS you have a 32mm front bar.
So you did the rear end and the sway bar at the same time? Put on your stock sway bar and see if it helps the issue, because the heavier rear end (unsprung weight) may be contributing to it. What kind of diff did you go with? That may be contributing as well.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:31 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
If your car is a real SS you have a 32mm front bar.
So you did the rear end and the sway bar at the same time? Put on your stock sway bar and see if it helps the issue, because the heavier rear end (unsprung weight) may be contributing to it. What kind of diff did you go with? That may be contributing as well.
Its a real SS, and I put a Ford Diff in it
Old 05-15-2008, 04:59 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

You need our front bar also. SB001 $189.95 Give me a call if you have any questions. I have it in stock and can ship same day. http://www.bmrfabrication.com/swaybars/4thgen-Fbody.jpg
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 05-15-2008, 05:27 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 133 Likes on 87 Posts

As was stated before, a Camaro SS already have a 32mm bar installed, stock. It's hollow and about 10 pounds lighter than a solid bar of the same size.

I'd like to talk to the customer about this first. I can't see how the car would understeer horribly with that setup installed, unless he's getting understeer confused with oversteer (and that often happens).

I think a 32/21 combination is too rear stiff. While I run a similar bar size myself in the rear, I run a much larger 35mm bar in front. Similar to what the last two year SLP build 1LE's had as well as the Bilstein Ultra Suspension equipped cars. The biggest difference is that my rear bar is hollow and lighter than a solid rear.

A Strano front bar is more than $189.95.... It's $220. It's also about 10 pounds lighter (only a few heavier than a stock front bar which is also hollow) than a solid 32, and about 15 lbs. less than a solid 35mm bar.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 05-15-2008, 06:13 PM
12 Second Club

So the 35MM would stiffen it up alot in the front?

It feels like the rear is alot stiffer than the front the way it is now.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:51 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 133 Likes on 87 Posts

That's because it is... you upped the rear roll stiffness by about 30% vs. stock, with no change on the front. And you're seeing why I run a bigger than a 32mm front bar. Going from 32 to 35mm in front would give you a similar increase in front to match what you got in the rear.

Oversteer is when the rear takes off on you. Understeer is when the front won't turn where you want. Sure sounds to me like you got yourself oversteer, which is exactly what you'd expect when jumping the rear roll rate and not the front.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 05-15-2008, 07:08 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
That's because it is... you upped the rear roll stiffness by about 30% vs. stock, with no change on the front. And you're seeing why I run a bigger than a 32mm front bar. Going from 32 to 35mm in front would give you a similar increase in front to match what you got in the rear.

Oversteer is when the rear takes off on you. Understeer is when the front won't turn where you want. Sure sounds to me like you got yourself oversteer, which is exactly what you'd expect when jumping the rear roll rate and not the front.
Ya I got them mixed up, thanks for the advice sir