Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Video of Wheel Play

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 09:36 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Video of Wheel Play

okay guys I still have wheel play in my car. I just replaced my inner and outer tierods on both sides thinking thats what causing the wheel play. What else is there I can check? Reason I thought it was the tierods was because I was able to move the driver side wheel with my own force. Please help.

Old 05-17-2008, 12:25 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

about 1 inch is considered normal...if your talking about the play in the wheel that goes into the rack...which with wear and mileage can get wear also...id say your play is prolly in the rack...

leave the keyws in it go under the hood and grab the linkage turn it back and forth if it does with ease and the wheels arent moveing its play in the rack most likely
Old 05-17-2008, 01:31 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by daniel6718
about 1 inch is considered normal...if your talking about the play in the wheel that goes into the rack...which with wear and mileage can get wear also...id say your play is prolly in the rack...

leave the keyws in it go under the hood and grab the linkage turn it back and forth if it does with ease and the wheels arent moveing its play in the rack most likely
Thank's, I will bring the car to my brother's shop and put it up on the lift and do that. If that's what's causing the play then I didn't need to buy a whole new tie rod kit. Hmmmmm, I guess replacing old parts are always good.
Old 05-17-2008, 08:25 AM
Staging Lane

Also check the bolts on the steering linkage to the rack. Mine were not tight after installing headers and caused wheel play also. Tightend them down real good and no more play.
Old 05-17-2008, 10:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Not to dog on your video but I can't see anything. It's too dark.
Old 05-17-2008, 12:11 PM
TECH Regular

Sorry for the video, I will try and take a better one today when the car is outside. But along with the above comments. I will check all those that are the possibilities of wheel play. Anymore idea's please let me know so I can check all of them when the car is back on the lift on Friday. Thanks everyone.
Old 05-17-2008, 04:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

X2 on the rack.
Old 05-17-2008, 04:58 PM
Launching!

a little bit is normal but if while you're driving you see the car kinda go back and forth on the road then you got a problem and does it do that when the car is on or if its moving??
Old 05-18-2008, 09:42 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Fotis
a little bit is normal but if while you're driving you see the car kinda go back and forth on the road then you got a problem and does it do that when the car is on or if its moving??
Hey Fotis, yes it does go back and forth while driving on the road. It does it when the car is off also. Even when the wheel locks it still moves a bit side to side. So what do you think?
Old 05-18-2008, 10:05 PM
Launching!

i had an accord that did that well i wish i could get you on the phne to talk to you so it can be sped up but let me ask some more questions efore i give some advise....
1.look under the car at the think that makes both wheels turn and there should be a boot samilar to a boot around an axel but it expands and contracts see if that is ripped, leaking, or even there any more?
2. is the steering wheel harder to turn?
3. does it wiggle at all side to side up or down or in a telesopic sort of way?
4. is there a power steerig leak?

the reason why i ask all this is cause this is more common on older cars especially ones with out power steering?
Old 05-19-2008, 01:09 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you checked your rag-joint ? If the car has alot of miles or headers (sometimes heat from the headers can cause the rag-joint to become sloppy)?
Old 05-20-2008, 03:14 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Fotis
i had an accord that did that well i wish i could get you on the phne to talk to you so it can be sped up but let me ask some more questions efore i give some advise....
1.look under the car at the think that makes both wheels turn and there should be a boot samilar to a boot around an axel but it expands and contracts see if that is ripped, leaking, or even there any more?
2. is the steering wheel harder to turn?
3. does it wiggle at all side to side up or down or in a telesopic sort of way?
4. is there a power steerig leak?

the reason why i ask all this is cause this is more common on older cars especially ones with out power steering?
1: Everything seems to be fine there when I checked.
2: The steering wheel is actually pretty easy to turn especially with the new inner and out tierods.
3: No power steering leak
Old 05-20-2008, 03:15 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 96silverram
Have you checked your rag-joint ? If the car has alot of miles or headers (sometimes heat from the headers can cause the rag-joint to become sloppy)?
My brother checked the rag joint and didn't say anything about that, but now that is one thing I will re-check. Thank you for the response.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:52 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

there is no actual rag joint like the old cars.

my steering wheel had some slop and i found both the steering linkage bolts were a little loose, i got about a half turn or more out of each one. the wheel has about 2" slp before the rack would move. now its good.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:41 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 99ssleeper
there is no actual rag joint like the old cars.

my steering wheel had some slop and i found both the steering linkage bolts were a little loose, i got about a half turn or more out of each one. the wheel has about 2" slp before the rack would move. now its good.
I hope that's it when I check tomorrow.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:10 AM
Launching!

hey man my car was doing the exact same thing. there was a TON of play in the steering wheel... it was hard to keep it in the road on the highway... anyway i replaced my rack and pinion and tie rod ends and it completely fixed the problem... drives like a new car now. it took me forever to figure it out!
Old 05-23-2008, 12:15 AM
TECH Regular

Since I replaced both inner and outer tierods already which wasn't it then maybe its my rack and pinion? Where did you buy the rack and pinion?