Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Need THIN Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 08:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need THIN Brake Pads

I had to grind a LOT off of my calipers to get my Prostars to fit. I'm pretty sure new brake pads would make the caliper rub on the inside of the wheel but the pads on the car are almost gone.

I know this is a long shot but do any of you know of a pad that is a little thinner than normal when new?
Old 05-19-2008, 08:38 PM
Staging Lane

man i had to grind a lot on mine then i put new pads on and had to grind some more
if you dnt wana grind anymore you may have to get a spacer
i have been working on cars for 9yr and im ase l1 cert i have never seen a thin pad like that but im not saying theres not one
Old 05-20-2008, 12:20 AM
On The Tree

Grind the calipers and run a .25 spacer...Aerospace and Strange both offer front and rear kits to eliminate the spacer, but they're pricey. They also state they're for racing applications only.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just don't like the idea of running a spacer. I should be between 800-900rwhp with the setup I'm putting together. A lot of stress on the studs. I'm a 22 year old ford tech. I've only been in the field for a couple years and seen a handfull of different name brands of pads. Figured I would ask.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:43 PM
"All Motor 9 Second club member"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man I just happen to have a set of Hawk pads that are probably 70% good. I ran into the same problem you did and just wasn't comfortable grinding that far after putting new pads on. When I put the new pads on it locked the wheel up. I went with race brakes and saved these.

If you know someone here in Houston that can pick them up, you can have them.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

why would you need thin brake pads when you grind the out side of the caliper that stay in one location and dosnt move. you push the piston in to the the caliper, you dont push the caliper back. this makes no since to me at all.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:07 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Put LT1 rear calipers on and call it done

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 05-20-2008, 04:19 PM
FormerVendor

I know it may be a bit too late for you since you already purchased your wheels (this is not an I told you so post)...for the others reading this post, our Bogart wheels would not have the issues that the poster is running into. Customers will also have saved ~50lbs of converted mass by using our wheels instead of the prostars. There may be other wheel options but they all are heavier then the prostars...I"d suggest out of any, these are a good economy buy.

To help you out, if you are running spacers as well, you WILL need 3.25" studs to be safe using the prostars. Pads and rotor thickness will vary between brands. Though a bandaid, you could also take the outside pads to a belt sander. The only concern (if money was your reasoning for purchasing the wheels over our designs) is you'll have to replace the pads more often obviously.

You could consider running drag brakes which will solve your problem. LT1 brakes as scoggin would also help though you will still have to grind the fins from the rears and have to run a spacer for the fronts. Do not remove the hardened spring steel piece from those calipers.

Good luck.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:29 PM
"All Motor 9 Second club member"

Yep Steve at SJM hooked us up. He knows his stuff!
Old 05-20-2008, 09:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TXCAMSS
Man I just happen to have a set of Hawk pads that are probably 70% good. I ran into the same problem you did and just wasn't comfortable grinding that far after putting new pads on. When I put the new pads on it locked the wheel up. I went with race brakes and saved these.

If you know someone here in Houston that can pick them up, you can have them.
PM Sent

Originally Posted by Disturbed Bird
why would you need thin brake pads when you grind the out side of the caliper that stay in one location and dosnt move. you push the piston in to the the caliper, you dont push the caliper back. this makes no since to me at all.
The rotor stays in the same place all the time. If you put a thicker pad between the rotor and the outside of the caliper... see the problem now?

Originally Posted by SJM Manufacturing Inc
I know it may be a bit too late for you since you already purchased your wheels (this is not an I told you so post)...for the others reading this post, our Bogart wheels would not have the issues that the poster is running into. Customers will also have saved ~50lbs of converted mass by using our wheels instead of the prostars. There may be other wheel options but they all are heavier then the prostars...I"d suggest out of any, these are a good economy buy.

To help you out, if you are running spacers as well, you WILL need 3.25" studs to be safe using the prostars. Pads and rotor thickness will vary between brands. Though a bandaid, you could also take the outside pads to a belt sander. The only concern (if money was your reasoning for purchasing the wheels over our designs) is you'll have to replace the pads more often obviously.

You could consider running drag brakes which will solve your problem. LT1 brakes as scoggin would also help though you will still have to grind the fins from the rears and have to run a spacer for the fronts. Do not remove the hardened spring steel piece from those calipers.

Good luck.
Live and learn I guess. I could have had a nice set of wheels without all the trouble and not paid much more overall. At the time I just said to myself "well other people make them work"
Old 05-20-2008, 10:54 PM
FormerVendor

Black,

You can make them work; they are a good economy lightweight wheel. Unfortunately they are not made for your car. They are a one-size fits some wheel. Unlike how we setup our Bogart wheels. You'll have to take the good with the bad I suppose.

When I point out why our wheels have advantages over competitors products between fit, finish, weight advantages etc…some people feel I am putting them down their choices. I am not downplaying other products, there are just better choices in my opinion whereas I show why our Bogart products are worth the money and do have benefits over other drag wheel setups.

Once again, I do wish you luck.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Scoggin Dickey
Put LT1 rear calipers on and call it done
Will these really bolt up??? What all is needed for the swap???
Old 05-26-2008, 11:46 AM
FormerVendor

You'll still need to grind the fins but it's much easier to fit. The LT1 calipers are heavier and do not have as good braking power and brake fade. You don't re-use your LS1 backing plates, you need LT1 mounts.
Old 05-26-2008, 12:05 PM
12 Second Club

Why dont any ever consider running a rear brake setup off of a Explorer? If you want to run disk that is. They are a good size rotor for the street and wont need grinding. The race setups are just that. That way you can run a wheel for the street. These brakes with a ceramic pad will offer decent stopping power with a drag setup. If you are running an ABS delete like SJM offers,it comes with a porportioning valve to dail in the bias front to rear.

Quick Reply: Need THIN Brake Pads