Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Clicking sound on light bumps??

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 09:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clicking sound on light bumps??

I'm sure that this will be impossible to diagnose completely without seeing the car in person but I would like some suggestions on where to start looking. I have a clicking sound which seems to originate from the front right suspension. It doesn't react to braking. I only hear the sound when I am on a slightly rough road. It doesn't make a sound when the car is stopped and idling. I tried to duplicate the sound by pushing down on the fender to compress the suspension but it wont make a sound in that setting either. I also just checked all of the bushings in the front end. All of them looked great but I sprayed them with silicone spray anyways, reassembled the car to take a test drive and low and behold the wretched sound is still there. Does anyone have any suggestions? Keep in mind that my car is a completely stock 99 Camaro SS with 87000 miles and the shocks aren't leaking a bit.
Old 05-22-2008, 04:17 AM
TECH Regular

Does it do this over speed bumps? Mine does this almost every time I ride over a speed bump.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:44 AM
Teching In

Thats the strange part. It wont do it on large bumps. I have a rolled curb driveway and it doesn't make a sound when I hit that. If I'm driving down a slightly rough road I'll hear it the whole time though.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i have that same exact problem, i cant figure out what it is...i dont think its a big deal but still annoying. its almost like the wheel hitting the end of its travel downward. ::shrugs::
Old 05-22-2008, 11:11 AM
Teching In

Thats a good description of it. I have an appointment with a buddy of mine who owns an alignment shop today. I'll post his diagnosis if he has one.
Old 06-03-2008, 03:54 PM
Teching In

I found the culprit. It turns out that the top torque arm mount bolt had walked its way out and it came completly loose on Sunday.

Quick Reply: Clicking sound on light bumps??