Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Must Replace Rear Springs - Need Suggestions!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 01:44 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Must Replace Rear Springs - Need Suggestions!!!

Right now I have revalved bilsteins on my car w/a pro-kit BUT as seems the case w/most pro-kit owners I'm experiencing the rear end sag ...

But beyond the ride is awful. Going over bumps feels like i don't even have rears springs, just solid steel beams back there. It's ridiculous - so I need to replace them.

The front springs can stay, but I need more give from the rear. I need suggestions. I was thinking keeping the pro-kit front springs and swapping in the original stock rear springs.

What do you think?

The car is a DD - fyi
Old 06-06-2008, 03:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

well, I can agree with the rear springs being a problem, but it sounds as if you have more of a shock problem if anything. Still I'd like to ask a few things.

1. Where did you get your revavles from?
2. Would you be willing to use the heater hose mod with the stock rear springs?

Last edited by Foxxtron; 06-06-2008 at 03:17 AM. Reason: clarity of information
Old 06-06-2008, 07:11 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Xtreme57
Right now I have revalved bilsteins on my car w/a pro-kit BUT as seems the case w/most pro-kit owners I'm experiencing the rear end sag ...

Not to be a "wise guy", but what, exactly, is the Pro-Kit "rear end sag"? I've had the Eibach Pro-Kit springs in my '96 Z-28 for 12 years. I bought the car in October of '95, and put them in while the car was in winter storage, Nov. 95- Mar. '96. The first 4-5 years were with the OE DeCarbon shocks, and later a set of the SLP Bilsteins.

The ride was horrible with the OE shocks, but I had a considerable mortgage payment at the time, so shocks weren't in the budget. I paid off the house in early 2001, and the FIRST thing I spluged on was the Bilsteins....seriously!

Either way, however, the Eibachs lowered the car the advertised 1.25", and that's the way the car has remained. The car currently has 71,000 miles on it.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:34 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Foxxtron
well, I can agree with the rear springs being a problem, but it sounds as if you have more of a shock problem if anything. Still I'd like to ask a few things.

1. Where did you get your revavles from?
2. Would you be willing to use the heater hose mod with the stock rear springs?
1 - They are Bilstein revalves from Strano Parts.

2 - I am willing to try anything that will alleviate the teeth shattering smashing sounds/feeling of going over a pot hole at any mph.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Not to be a "wise guy", but what, exactly, is the Pro-Kit "rear end sag"? I've had the Eibach Pro-Kit springs in my '96 Z-28 for 12 years. I bought the car in October of '95, and put them in while the car was in winter storage, Nov. 95- Mar. '96. The first 4-5 years were with the OE DeCarbon shocks, and later a set of the SLP Bilsteins.

The ride was horrible with the OE shocks, but I had a considerable mortgage payment at the time, so shocks weren't in the budget. I paid off the house in early 2001, and the FIRST thing I spluged on was the Bilsteins....seriously!

Either way, however, the Eibachs lowered the car the advertised 1.25", and that's the way the car has remained. The car currently has 71,000 miles on it.
From what I hear, the LT1 pro-kits are a way much better set than the LS1 pro-kits. Seems like the LS1 prokits have some quality issues. Sam Strano seems to recommend the lt1 prokits to ls1 cars when his own springs aren't an option.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by z28bryan
From what I hear, the LT1 pro-kits are a way much better set than the LS1 pro-kits. Seems like the LS1 prokits have some quality issues. Sam Strano seems to recommend the lt1 prokits to ls1 cars when his own springs aren't an option.

OK, I guess that explains it....
Old 06-06-2008, 01:20 PM
TECH Junkie

It wasn't really an eye opening explaination. I just wanted to point out that there appears to be a difference between the LT1 and LS1 sets.
Old 06-06-2008, 02:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Xtreme57
1 - They are Bilstein revalves from Strano Parts.

2 - I am willing to try anything that will alleviate the teeth shattering smashing sounds/feeling of going over a pot hole at any mph.
affirmative. As a temporary measure, you could try to use the rear stock springs with the "heater hose mod" with your Strano Bilstein revalves, however since you mentioned you've had some "hard slamming" experiences with your rear end, you may want to visually inspect your rear bumpstops to see if you've actually bottomed out the rear end.

I'm also not too sure if I've missed this or not, but do you have any significant added weight to your boot or any other part of the rear interior of the car?
Old 06-06-2008, 09:01 PM
TECH Junkie

You probably also have blunt ended bumpstops. Not really that good for ride quality or performance. Change them out for z28 triangular bumpstops
Old 06-07-2008, 12:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

do you have slp bumpstop spacers on your car, if so remove them.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:27 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Foxxtron
affirmative. As a temporary measure, you could try to use the rear stock springs with the "heater hose mod" with your Strano Bilstein revalves, however since you mentioned you've had some "hard slamming" experiences with your rear end, you may want to visually inspect your rear bumpstops to see if you've actually bottomed out the rear end.

I'm also not too sure if I've missed this or not, but do you have any significant added weight to your boot or any other part of the rear interior of the car?

How do i check the bumpstops? Beyond that, what am i looking for?

I did add two rolls of sound deadener a few months ago, so an extra 30lb maybe? But nothing crazy.
Old 06-10-2008, 04:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Here's a pic from jmX's website with regards to the bumpstops that came with most SLP SS/Firehawk:

http://www.ls1howto.com/howto/fbody/...s/IMAGE009.jpg

If you this type, remove both the bumpstop and the aluminium spacer and replace with a plain stock one instead:

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results.cfm part#10164173

They currently list for about 20 USD each. You'll most likely have ones like these, but if they're worn and/or torn, then you'll need to replace them.

Quick Reply: Must Replace Rear Springs - Need Suggestions!!!