Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

bang for buck shock?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 11:14 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default bang for buck shock?

I'm thinking of lowering my T/A sometime soon but i'm not sure what shocks to buy. I would love to get the koni/strano combo but i dont think i can afford an $800 set of shocks. Bilsteins look like a good deal but i dont know everything about them. I've also heard i need to realign the rear end? will a torque arm and panhard bar be enough to get that done?
Old 06-20-2008, 03:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These days Bilstiens seem to have garbage valving. KYB's seem to be the shock of choice for people who don't have the cash for Konis.

An adjustable PHB would be sufficient enough to realign the rear end
Old 06-24-2008, 12:29 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have KYB AGXs. Seems like a great budget shock to me.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:32 AM
TECH Addict

AGX here. Damned good shock for the money. You can find a NIB set on Ebay for 330 usually.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gottahavels1
I'm thinking of lowering my T/A sometime soon but i'm not sure what shocks to buy. I would love to get the koni/strano combo but i dont think i can afford an $800 set of shocks. Bilsteins look like a good deal but i dont know everything about them. I've also heard i need to realign the rear end? will a torque arm and panhard bar be enough to get that done?
When you get the opportunity, you should discuss your personal wants with your modifications with Sam Strano. What I can say is if you do lower, you could use an adjustible PHB, however the torque arm may not be necessary.

I'd also like to mention that with all of the mods you desire to do, you'd be best with saving the money for Koni SA's. They're truly worth the money involved.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:52 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Foxxtron
When you get the opportunity, you should discuss your personal wants with your modifications with Sam Strano. What I can say is if you do lower, you could use an adjustible PHB, however the torque arm may not be necessary.

I'd also like to mention that with all of the mods you desire to do, you'd be best with saving the money for Koni SA's. They're truly worth the money involved.
I think your missing the WHOLE point of this thread..

It's for people who dont feel like or cant spend the major doe on Koni's..

I personally wont do it either. KYB AGX's suite me just fine.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Vndcatr
I think your missing the WHOLE point of this thread..

It's for people who dont feel like or cant spend the major doe on Koni's..

I personally wont do it either. KYB AGX's suite me just fine.
Spare all of us with your personal attack of who's missing the point. If he, you or other's won't do it, fine, but I'll post with some of the facts. The thread title clearly states "BEST BANG FOR BUCK?" then the OP mentions that he would like the Koni Strano setup, but 800 USD seems steep, but there are obvious reasons why.

FWIW, KYB AGX's are poorly made shocks because they adjust both compression and rebound simlutaneously, which negatively affects both ride and performance. Not to mention, they're poorly made in themselves and KYB is one of the worst companies to deal with with warranty issues.

Koni's are not only well made, they truly resolve the critical problems with this car, which is poor rebound dampening. This mod isn't just for track use, but also good for street use as well. What also doesn't hurt is the fact if the shocks are installed correctly, then Koni offers a lifetime warranty to the original purchaser to the shock. I've dealt with Koni on numerous occasions and they do back up every word.

Again, I'm offering my input based on personal experience with over spending and underspending on at least 5 4th Gen F-bodies that I've owned.

It's pretty much implied what people's choices are, but as long as the moderators don't have a problem with me, I'm posting my experience based on facts.

For the OP, you should hold off some more and call Sam Strano. He too sells KYB's.

Now back to more postings.

Last edited by Foxxtron; 06-24-2008 at 04:08 AM.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:18 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

I do sell KYB... and Tokico.... and Monroe.... and Gabriel.... and Koni.... and Bilstein... and Edelbrock.... and--you get the point (I hope).

Koni's are better than KYB's, period. The guy who got his feathers ruffled hates hearing that because he has KYB's, but that doesn't change the facts.

For those completely unwilling to spend the money, or that don't really care how a shock works, or any number of reasons AGX's can be a workable solution. Again, I sell them and wouldn't if I felt they were a complete disaster. But let's not attack Foxxtron for trying to educate, this is what forums are for. And if you don't like the response debate it, ignore it, whatever.... but you don't need to lose you mind over it. And FWIW, the thread is about "bang for the buck" shocks. That doesn't mean cheap. That means value.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 06-25-2008, 12:11 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I do sell KYB... and Tokico.... and Monroe.... and Gabriel.... and Koni.... and Bilstein... and Edelbrock.... and--you get the point (I hope).

Koni's are better than KYB's, period. The guy who got his feathers ruffled hates hearing that because he has KYB's, but that doesn't change the facts.

For those completely unwilling to spend the money, or that don't really care how a shock works, or any number of reasons AGX's can be a workable solution. Again, I sell them and wouldn't if I felt they were a complete disaster. But let's not attack Foxxtron for trying to educate, this is what forums are for. And if you don't like the response debate it, ignore it, whatever.... but you don't need to lose you mind over it. And FWIW, the thread is about "bang for the buck" shocks. That doesn't mean cheap. That means value.
sam to save the day once again. lol.

Quick Reply: bang for buck shock?