Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

which springs for my lowered car

Old 06-22-2008, 05:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default which springs for my lowered car

Hey guys/gals I have a 00 trans am with 1.5" lowering springs. I need to order new shocks but don't know which ones to order since I'm lowered. I don't do any autocross but I will be spending some time at the dragstrip. The car has full bolt ons with a Midwest Chassis 9" THANKS
Old 06-22-2008, 06:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

konis if youve got the cash, kyb if your a cheap noobass like me and cant dish out that much for shocks.
Old 06-22-2008, 07:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Konis.
Old 06-23-2008, 01:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Koni sa's are the best.You will love them.They are worth every penny.
Old 06-23-2008, 02:57 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Hello, just to give you another option, we offer the Tokico HP Series. Tokico's continues to be the overwhelming choice of performance enthusiasts looking for the best in overall handling and ride quality. If you have any questions please give us a call, our tech dept is open MON-FRI 8:30AM-6:00PM EST.

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/F-bodySuspension.htm
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!

Last edited by BMR Tech2; 12-09-2008 at 09:26 AM.
Old 06-23-2008, 03:46 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 127 Likes on 82 Posts

I offer Tokico as one option: http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=20&ModelID=7

We also have KYB, Koni, Bilstein (when available), SLP Bilstein (when available), Monroe (yeck), Gabriel (yeck, yeck)...

I digress--Sorry.

While I sell Tokico's, I can't consider them to be "the overwhelming choice of performance enthusiasts looking for the best in overall handling and ride quality". In fact on another car I own I just replaced Tokico's much superior D-Spec damper when comparing to the Blues here, with Koni's and am very happy I did. YMMV.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 06-23-2008, 09:54 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
While I sell Tokico's, I can't consider them to be "the overwhelming choice of performance enthusiasts looking for the best in overall handling and ride quality". In fact on another car I own I just replaced Tokico's much superior D-Spec damper when comparing to the Blues here, with Koni's and am very happy I did. YMMV.

Sam,
Make up your mind!!!! Please allow me to quote the Strano website.....

"TOKICO's HP Series - the famous "Blue Shock" - continues to be the overwhelming choice of performance enthusiasts looking for the best in overall handling and ride quality. The HP Series damping typifies TOKICO's valving flexibility and philosophy by minimizing low speed damping force and greatly increasing damping at medium and high piston speeds for improved compliance, tire adhesion and handling."

So which one is it Sam. Are you wrong when you say that the Tokicos ARE the overwhelming choice of performance enthusiasts? Or are you wrong when you say that the Tokicos ARE NOT the overwhelming choice of performance enthusiasts?

All kidding aside, I am sure that both the Tokicos and Konis are good shocks. After all, you sell both brands and you would never sell inferior shocks. And by the way, every shock that you sell works well with suspension parts from BMR Fabrication. So can't we just get along!!!

Allan Miller
President
BMR Suspension
www.bmrsuspension.com
(813) 986-9302
Old 06-23-2008, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Like you Allan, Im sure Sam just put the manufacturers description on his site to describe the shocks out of convenience. But he comes on this forum and actually explains why one is better than the other, and you just quote the manufacturers claim again. All hairsplitting aside, the Konis are a much better shock in any application, they just cost a butt load more. With that extra coin you get a lifetime replacements though...
Old 06-23-2008, 10:50 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by hpjunky98
Like you Allan, Im sure Sam just put the manufacturers description on his site to describe the shocks out of convenience. But he comes on this forum and actually explains why one is better than the other, and you just quote the manufacturers claim again. All hairsplitting aside, the Konis are a much better shock in any application, they just cost a butt load more. With that extra coin you get a lifetime replacements though...
You're right, Strano and BMR listed the description like that for convenience.

However, Sam didn't actually say why he liked them better. Nothing technical in his post, just opinion. I actually agree with Sam. I like the Konis. I have never said anything bad about the Konis. BMR doesn't currently sell Konis, but maybe we should......

I think we can all agree on one thing...Konis are big $$$$.

Allan Miller
President
BMR Suspension
www.bmrsuspension.com
(813) 986-9302
Old 06-24-2008, 01:18 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BMR Fabrication Inc.
I think we can all agree on one thing...Konis are big $$$$.
I do not agree. I think they offer a very good value for not that much money. Especially when you look at what the same people complaining about Koni prices are spending on their drivetrain just to gain a few tenths of ET.

Price some shocks one step farther up the ladder than Konis (Motons, Penskes, etc.) and tell me again how they're "big $$$$".
Old 06-24-2008, 01:18 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I'm getting quite tired of Allan's pot-shots. Yep, I put up blurbs from companies on my website....

But, I don't just repeat those sound-bites on forums when trying to help folks with parts recommendations. I also take the time to explain just why I feel the way I do when asked (generally by phone).

Why do I like Koni's better? Well since Allan pointed out I left that part out, let me explain: They are built way better, have a better warranty, have excellent rebound control and a wide range of it so the owner can tune the damping to his/her wants/needs. That's all, not a lot of difference other than build quality, support and performance.

Tokico will not deal with warranties directly and makes it a nightmare. KYB is not any better in warranty, but I'll normally recommend AGX's over Tokico's simply because the owner has the ability to put the adjustment where he/she likes it best. It's called flexibility, and it's nice to have at least some over none. The only time I'll pick none over some is when I can trust the damper to be well tuned for it's job. I'd have no issue with Tokico over AGX's on a stock sprung car that just needs some decent control to drive around in. But I won't do Tokico's over AGX's for lowered cars where more damping (not less) is required to control the heavier rate, lesser travel springs.

Does that help?

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 06-24-2008, 02:31 PM
Staging Lane

The more I see Mr. Miller specifically go after Sam, the more I get turned away from BMR's company.

I also used to own a Cavalier before I had my Camaro. Did BMR make j-body control arms for RKSport a few years ago? Just wondering.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:04 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by SGMZ28
The more I see Mr. Miller specifically go after Sam, the more I get turned away from BMR's company.
Actually, I didn't go after Sam. He took a shot at a member of my Sales team with his Tokico comment. I pointed out (sarcastically, I'll admit) that his website doesn't reflect his views on the Tokico shocks.

I agree with most comments that Sam makes....but Sam won't acknowledge that in writing. He wants to continue to fight because that is good marketing for his company.

How 'bout it Sam? Can't we just get along?

Allan Miller
President
BMR Suspension
www.bmrsuspension.com
(813) 986-9302
Old 06-24-2008, 04:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Actually, I didn't go after Sam. He took a shot at a member of my Sales team with his Tokico comment. I pointed out (sarcastically, I'll admit) that his website doesn't reflect his views on the Tokico shocks.
Actually you did. Sam was doing what other sponsors often do in the same thread... disagree. You however took it to a personal level, using his name and calling him out on a description on his website that’s identical to yours.

And I see no personal attack on any member of your staff, unless it was deleted...

I agree with most comments that Sam makes....but Sam won't acknowledge that in writing. He wants to continue to fight because that is good marketing for his company.

How 'bout it Sam? Can't we just get along?
Why would Sam acknowledge in writing that you agree with him? Is he your spokesperson? Seems like that’s your responsibility.

And how is arguing with another vendor "good marketing"? If anything, arguing between sponsors creates a negative image on both ends of the spectrum.

Sam,
Make up your mind!!!!

So which one is it Sam. Are you wrong when you say that the Tokicos ARE the overwhelming choice of performance enthusiasts? Or are you wrong when you say that the Tokicos ARE NOT the overwhelming choice of performance enthusiasts?

So can't we just get along!!!
Putting "So can't we just get along!!!" at the end of a rant does not make your message suddenly disappear, nor does it make you appear neutral. You still appear to be trying to start something.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:14 PM
Staging Lane

Old 06-24-2008, 04:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Old 06-25-2008, 12:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wXh151

Old 06-28-2008, 01:39 AM
Staging Lane

Here's my view on Mr. BMR and Sam Strano, take it or leave it.

Mr. BMR doesn't actually offer much input on his products, nor does he go in depth, he just throws the manufacturers sales pitch out there, hoping for a sale. And why would you accuse Sam of being contradictory about the Tokico's because he put the manufacturers description on there, just like you. Do you think anyone would buy the tokicos if he put "these shocks are a peice of **** and a waste of money"? No, they wouldn't. But he would offer his opinion on them and would help with any other suspension related questions.
And I think everyone will agree with me on this-
If you were looking into or had any questions suspension wise for an F-body, would you rather talk to and purchase from a BMR rep who simply tries to sell the product to you, or would you rather deal with a person who specializes in F-body suspension and, unless Sam is lying in his signature, I would feel much better getting input and install support/tips/advice from someone who has won "SCCA National Champion (x4)
SCCA ProSolo Class Champion (x3)"

Mr. BMR, you just lost quite a few customers, while making an *** out of yourself with your comments and come-backs. As a consumer, you just made your company look cheap, careless, and very un-professional.

To Strano, Your replies to Mr. BMR in this thread were not rude, accusatory, or negative, like Mr. BMR's were. you continue to give awesome support and honest opinions, you propose a very helpful and professional company. I have not even purchased anything from you yet, but I accidentally placed an order and you quickly e-mailed me and gave me more information/help than I could have asked for. You run a great business and offer incomparable service, sales, and support. I will definitely buy from your company .

Anyways, thats my .02

Last edited by nsstech; 06-28-2008 at 02:00 AM.
Old 06-30-2008, 02:25 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

That's very kind of you nsstech... I appreciate the nice words. I'm not perfect and I can make mistakes--I am human. But I try my best to do whatever I can to make sure the customer is satisfied with the parts he's ordering.

Thanks again.

Old 06-30-2008, 02:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nsstech
Here's my view on Mr. BMR and Sam Strano, take it or leave it.

Mr. BMR doesn't actually offer much input on his products, nor does he go in depth, he just throws the manufacturers sales pitch out there, hoping for a sale. And why would you accuse Sam of being contradictory about the Tokico's because he put the manufacturers description on there, just like you. Do you think anyone would buy the tokicos if he put "these shocks are a peice of **** and a waste of money"? No, they wouldn't. But he would offer his opinion on them and would help with any other suspension related questions.
And I think everyone will agree with me on this-
If you were looking into or had any questions suspension wise for an F-body, would you rather talk to and purchase from a BMR rep who simply tries to sell the product to you, or would you rather deal with a person who specializes in F-body suspension and, unless Sam is lying in his signature, I would feel much better getting input and install support/tips/advice from someone who has won "SCCA National Champion (x4)
SCCA ProSolo Class Champion (x3)"

Mr. BMR, you just lost quite a few customers, while making an *** out of yourself with your comments and come-backs. As a consumer, you just made your company look cheap, careless, and very un-professional.

To Strano, Your replies to Mr. BMR in this thread were not rude, accusatory, or negative, like Mr. BMR's were. you continue to give awesome support and honest opinions, you propose a very helpful and professional company. I have not even purchased anything from you yet, but I accidentally placed an order and you quickly e-mailed me and gave me more information/help than I could have asked for. You run a great business and offer incomparable service, sales, and support. I will definitely buy from your company .

Anyways, thats my .02
I agree, and this comes from a customer of both companies.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: which springs for my lowered car