Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Adjusting Koni 4/4

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 05:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Adjusting Koni 4/4

Hey all I got my hands on some Koni 4/4`s and just have some questions. Through research I've read that full soft in the rear, and four sweeps from full hard in the front is the desired adjustment. My question is, how do you know when the rears are full soft? I've turned these things (rears) clock wise a whole bunch of times. Will it eventually reach a stop? Same thing with the front. What is full hard? When the thing won't turn anymore? Do I just need to keep turning these things untill I can't turn it anymore? Any help is appreciated, as I want to install these things this weekend.

Last edited by GIJosh; 06-23-2008 at 05:57 PM.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:56 PM
On The Tree

Ok now I think I have a worse problem. I continued to turn the rears clock wise to try to soften them and shock oil came out. Did I destroy these things? I hope not, they are brand new and I saved a long time to get them.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:01 PM
TECH Resident

It sounds like there is something wrong with the shocks, they should not just keep spinning and definitely should not leak oil. I believe my rear shocks are about 2.5 turns lock to lock. Call the seller and get replacements.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:20 PM
On The Tree

These things must be f'd cause everytime I compress them they puke out oil. Great. I tried to adjust the other rear and it just spins and spins and spins with no stop either. Atleast that one doesn't leak though. Whats the odds they sent me two bad shocks as a pair?

Last edited by GIJosh; 06-23-2008 at 06:29 PM.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:38 PM
TECH Junkie

What, exactly are you spinning? Let's make sure you're spinning the adjuster and not something else. Either way, they shouldn't leak oil.

-Mike
Old 06-23-2008, 07:35 PM
TECH Resident

yeah....if you have 4th gen rear shocks then you need to be turning the adjustment **** on the top of the shock with the provided tool.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:00 PM
On The Tree

Yeah I was spining the rod with the provided ****. Still the same results. This is what I get for buying an ebay special, but you can't blame a man for trying to shop around these days. I'll try to contact the seller, but I have a terrible feeling about this mess since it took him forever to ship them out.
Old 06-28-2008, 11:14 AM
Launching!

It sounds like you were adjusting the rears with the threaded rod portion not tightened down (shock not installed). Therefor the whole shaft was spinning, not just the adjustment. Next time, try installing them first, then adjusting them. According to Koni, there should be two full turns lock to lock on the rear shocks.

Anyone with more experience wth Koni's care to chime in?
Old 06-30-2008, 02:57 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Are they new? Did you buy them from an individual or a company? Leaking oil means bad seals, and while they might work they won't when the oil all gets from inside of the shock to outside. If you are the original purchaser of new shocks (not shocks that might be "new" but someone esle bought) Koni will warranty them.

As is... they sound like typical buyer beware results to me, I'm sorry to say.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!

Quick Reply: Adjusting Koni 4/4