Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Sportline up Front & Prokit in Rear?

Old 06-27-2008, 11:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportline up Front & Prokit in Rear?

I am new to the world of suspension but i have come to the conclusion that the ls1 eibach sportline kit is probably not the best kit out there. I didnt buy these springs, but they came with the car when i bought it.

From reading through threads, i learned that the sportlines arent the best springs for the track. People complaining about: how close their tiress are to the fenders and that your basically riding on the bumpstops at times. I also notice that when i attempt to launch the car, the rear end just sinks which im sure isnt helping with traction...right?

Anyhow... i havent had time to check it out for myself, but my friend just told me that his prokit makes his car seem to sit higher up front than the rear!!...... I dunno about that, but i like the look of the front end dipping a little bit, so he just got the idea of leaving my sportlines up front but ADD the prokit in the rear. And i heard the LT1 prokit is much better, so if i did do this, i would definitely use the LT1 prokit rears, but BEFORE i do ANYTHING, i want your opinions! Can this work? Or is it a bad idea.

Ive read a thread that Sam Strano responded to and he said to make sure the spring rates are matched up if you DO mix and match...but im new to suspension, so im not sure if they do match up.
Old 06-28-2008, 12:14 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1fastz
I am new to the world of suspension but i have come to the conclusion that the ls1 eibach sportline kit is probably not the best kit out there. I didnt buy these springs, but they came with the car when i bought it.

From reading through threads, i learned that the sportlines arent the best springs for the track. People complaining about: how close their tiress are to the fenders and that your basically riding on the bumpstops at times. I also notice that when i attempt to launch the car, the rear end just sinks which im sure isnt helping with traction...right?

Anyhow... i havent had time to check it out for myself, but my friend just told me that his prokit makes his car seem to sit higher up front than the rear!!...... I dunno about that, but i like the look of the front end dipping a little bit, so he just got the idea of leaving my sportlines up front but ADD the prokit in the rear. And i heard the LT1 prokit is much better, so if i did do this, i would definitely use the LT1 prokit rears, but BEFORE i do ANYTHING, i want your opinions! Can this work? Or is it a bad idea.

Ive read a thread that Sam Strano responded to and he said to make sure the spring rates are matched up if you DO mix and match...but im new to suspension, so im not sure if they do match up.
I would just get Koni's w/Sam's springs and call it done. Eibach springs are hi and miss and mixing the 2 isn't going to really help.
Old 06-28-2008, 12:31 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

1fastz,
You are sailing into unchartered waters by mixing springs, but here is some info to help you out. The front Sportlines have a spring rate of 360 pounds per inch (when they were new). The LT1 ProKit rear springs have a spring rate of 160.

The BMR springs are stiffer than this, especially the front springs. The spring rate for the BMR front spring is 550 pounds per inch. The spring rate for the rear BMR spring is 170 pounds per inch. These springs will lower your car 1" front and back. They are a bargain at $229.95. These springs were designed to work with each other (in other words, a matched set). They have been tested as a set on many vehicles. We have thousands of happy customers running these springs.

The sping rate for the Strano spring is also 550 pounds per inch. The rear spring rate is 150 pounds per inch for the Strano springs.

Your Eibach set-up may actually work. The spring rate for the Sportline fronts is similar to the spring rate for the ProKit fronts. However, these springs are less aggressive (not as stiff) as the BMR springs. The stiffer spring rate will give you less body roll through a hard curve. Less body roll keeps the contact patch of your tires larger because the tire stays more perpendicular to the road.

On Monday, I will post a picture of a lowered Camaro with the BMR springs installed. These springs make a car look great as well as handle great.

If you are interested in purchasing these springs, call Dennis at BMR and he'll make sure those springs ship the same day!! Good Luck with your decision!!

Allan Miller
President
BMR Suspension
www.bmrsuspension.com
(813) 986-9302
Old 06-28-2008, 12:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 1fastz

Depends on what you want. It sounds like you are more interesting in launching, than handling or ride quality. If you can get a hold of some stock springs they would be much better suited for launching, giving lots more travel.
But if you are into handling/ride quality forget eibach all together...
Old 06-30-2008, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

The rear springs on the sportlines and the prokit are the exact same spring. Same height, same spring rate. The only difference in the kits are the front springs. If you ran sportline fronts and pro kit rears, you would essentially be running a set of sportlines.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BMR Fabrication Inc.

On Monday, I will post a picture of a lowered Camaro with the BMR springs installed. These springs make a car look great as well as handle great.
Its Monday
Old 06-30-2008, 10:29 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Doh!!! My bad. BMR will post some pics on Tuesday. Sorry about that.

Allan Miller
President
BMR Suspension
www.bmrsuspension.com
(813) 986-9302
Old 07-01-2008, 08:21 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Here are a couple of cars with our springs installed.We have the springs in stock and can ship same day. Our tech/sales office is open MON-FRI 8:30AM-6:00PM EST. If you have any questions please give us a call.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!

Last edited by BMR Tech2; 12-09-2008 at 09:26 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sportline up Front & Prokit in Rear?