Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

springs

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 07:52 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default springs

can you put the strano springs on a camaro with the stock shocks, or do you need aftermarket shocks?
Old 06-28-2008, 08:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

stock shocks = steaming pile of ****
Old 06-28-2008, 09:30 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BobDoLe
stock shocks = steaming pile of ****
that has absolutely nothing to do with my question, thanks for being ignorant.
Old 06-28-2008, 09:49 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes you can... When you have a chance though replace them with some Koni's, KYB's or Bilsteins ...
Old 06-28-2008, 09:50 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by twitchtwice
I think what he was trying to say was that you can put stranos on with stock shocks, but it would not be the best decision. Stock shocks aren't meant for anything but stock springs. You could do it, but the ride would not be good.

You could get Kyb AGX's, i love mine or if you have the money get Koni's
Old 06-28-2008, 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, what BobDoLe says is really the truth, however...

YES you can. YES the ride might NOT necessarily degrade, however...

It's NOT recommended for reasons of what shocks are for in the first place (proper spring oscillation dampening). If you're going to do so, discuss Koni's with Sam Strano. As seen all over this thread, Koni's are the real ticket with concerns to both improving ride quality and improving performance with the same item. It won't ride like an "old school Caddy" but then again, it's along the lines of what "harnessing power is", right?
Old 06-28-2008, 09:56 PM
12 Second Club

well i drive my car just to drive i dont race or anything, i was thinking about just puting the springs in and then replacing the shocks a little after. i just bought the car, havnt cared to look at what shocks it actually has, but i know i want koni's just dont want to pay right now.

and i know your going to say save save save. so dont say it. i know. i just want to know if a can have the springs in for now, and not lose any handling i have now with the stock setup.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it has everything to do with your question.. the stock shock dampening is barely adequate for stock springs. so for lowering springs with stiffer spring rates, don't expect any miracles from your decarbons. people put lowering springs on stock shocks all the time, though.

don't pay any attention to my sig - the bilsteins aren't meant for lowering springs, but seem to do the job better than stock shocks.

Last edited by BobDoLe; 06-28-2008 at 11:10 PM.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

well i drive my car just to drive i dont race or anything, i was thinking about just puting the springs in and then replacing the shocks a little after. i just bought the car, havnt cared to look at what shocks it actually has, but i know i want koni's just dont want to pay right now.

and i know your going to say save save save. so dont say it. i know. i just want to know if a can have the springs in for now, and not lose any handling i have now with the stock setup.
I know that you're essentially agreeing with us, however be advised that your a few of your statement is considered a "flame" which is highly discouraged by the moderators. Nobody attacked you, so please be polite.

In discreet terms, "I type what I mean", however "I also mean what I type." We're here to help, and If I was going to tell you to save, I would've stated it.

Last edited by Foxxtron; 06-28-2008 at 10:22 PM.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:22 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Foxxtron
I know that you're essentially agreeing with us, however be advised that your few statement is considered a "flame" which is highly discouraged by the moderators. Nobody attacked you, so please be polite.

In discreet terms, "I type what I mean", however "I also mean what I type." We're here to help, and If I was going to tell you to save, I would've stated it.
and i also understand what you mean. but here was no reason to put what he put. if he would have explained himself it would have been totally different.

my question was can you use strano springs on stock suspension and his response was stock shocks are poop? that is pointless.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well yeah, I understand how it can get around here but he stated the exact truth, even if he didn't immediately answer the exact question.

But to directly answer your post subject, you will need aftermarket shocks with the Strano springs and not so much "aftermarket" but ones that are properly valved to handle the spring rates and spring height the Strano springs have. As you mentioned, you're not quite sure of what shocks you have on your car at the moment so I'll wait while you have a look when you get the chance. Depending on what's on there, it may not be as bad.

Since you mentioned "strano" in your first post, Sam might chime in here soon for more information.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:47 PM

can you put the strano springs on a camaro with the stock shocks, or do you need aftermarket shocks?
will the strano springs lower your height. my trans am is bearly making clearance as it is. looking for stiffer springs that don't exactly lower ride height.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:49 PM

another question off topic. looking for really good mufflers with good flo but still carring a classic rumble
Old 06-28-2008, 11:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by martinezwings
will the strano springs lower your height. my trans am is bearly making clearance as it is. looking for stiffer springs that don't exactly lower ride height.
Yes, they will. Stiffer springs at stock ride height subject is for another discussion altogether. Please start a new thread.

Originally Posted by martinezwings
another question off topic. looking for really good mufflers with good flo but still carring a classic rumble
That enquiry belongs in this section: https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine-6/
Old 06-28-2008, 11:27 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

i just want to know if a can have the springs in for now, and not lose any handling i have now with the stock setup.
But what I wouldn't want to do is remove and disassemble the front shock/spring assembly twice. I would definitely wait till I had the right front shocks to install with the springs.

Rears are easy and it wouldn't matter to throw them in with the stock shocks. If you didn't like it, you could just reinstall the stock springs.
Old 06-28-2008, 11:54 PM
12 Second Club

thanks for all your help.

another question. there are many different sets of koni shocks on the site. there are single ajustable, 4/3, and 4/4. if i dont drag or autox, just drive the car to drive. should i just get the single adjustable version?
Old 06-29-2008, 12:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

...there are many different sets of koni shocks on the site. there are single ajustable, 4/3, and 4/4. if i dont drag or autox, just drive the car to drive. should i just get the single adjustable version?
Okay, here we go...

4/4 refers to 4th-gen front/4th gen rear, and 4/3 refers to 4th-gen front/3rd-gen rear.

For the 4th Gen F-body there are (in singular description):

1. 4th-Gen F-body Single adjustable: Allows only rebound adjustment, however this adjustment will NOT affect the valving for compression (which KYB and some others do, and that's NOT what's desired, especially since both valvings are vital for overall spring oscillation dampening). These as well are available for front and rear. If stock springs are to be used and lowering is desired, the fronts (not the rears) allows to lower the stock springs through a "lower spring perch" (kind of like a "poor man's coil-over" though I refer to it as a "smart man's coil-over" ). These are "on-car" adjustable.

2. 4th-Gen F-body Double adjustable: Similar to SA (single-adjustable) however adds a seperate compression adjustment and deletes the lower-spring perch on front (which isn't designed for anything other than lowering the front stock springs).

3. 3rd-Gen F-body Single adjustible: like the 4th-Gen F-body only allows rebound only, however only the rears are able to be fitted to the 4th Gen as both 3rd and 4th have nearly identical rear axle suspension designs. Also, they only allow for 4 discreet settings as opposed to the 12 "continuous" ones of the 4th Gen. Also, the 3rd gen is "off-car" adjustible, though there are ways around that. Another technical difference is that the 3rd Gen design is a monotube design, as opposed to the twin-tube design of the 4th Gen shocks. Again, only 3rd gen rears can be fitted to a 4th gen rear.

For some more information directly from the Koni website here it is:
http://www.koni-na.com/cat_search.cf...&submit=Search
http://www.koni-na.com/cat_search.cf...&submit=Search

As a reminder, only 3rd Gen rears fit this car. Also, sport versions are advised over specials due to their valvings.

I'd advise only the SA's, however 4/4 or 4/3 is a tough call for others to make for you. If you arrange a call with Sam he may be able to discuss "customised" information with you for your specific wants/needs.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:45 AM
Launching!

A lot of really good information in here so far. I was wondering the same thing. Thank you especially Foxxtron for your detailed posts.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:07 AM
12 Second Club

yea, foxxtron is always here to save the day.