Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

steering shaft hitting headers

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 10:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default steering shaft hitting headers

Hope this is the right place for this.

So here it is, I converted a 98 v6 firebird to a v8 (ls1). I bought a sphone k-member for the clearance and i needed a v8 k -member. It fits just fine and the rack fit fine on the k-member, but i reused the v6 rack. I tried to see if there was a difference physically but none i could fine, I don't have a v8 rack to compare it to. I'm running SLP long tubes that i got used, so i know they fit an f- body car. I just cant get the steering shaft to clear the number 1 exhaust tube. If anyone knows if there is a difference in the rack or if its just my k-member let me know of any experiences you might have had
Old 07-06-2008, 03:33 PM
TECH Regular

I remenber hearing that an lt rack wont fit an ls car and i'm thinking since its a 98 and a v6 car it might have a lt rack on it, if you know any truth to this, chime in
Old 09-20-2008, 05:14 AM
Staging Lane

im having the same issue with a set of qtp lt's i just installed the steering shaft will not clear the number 1 cylinder. What did you end up doing to correct this problem?
Old 10-09-2008, 09:26 PM
Staging Lane

I just ran into the same problem! I have 93 LT1 that I am converting to an LS2! I have a BMR K member and BBK long tubes and I am hitting on the number 1 tube also! I tried a LS1 steering shaft but that didn't fix the problem either! its also Keyed different! My next trick is to try an LS1 steering rack! I guess there is a few different racks from 98 and up
Old 10-10-2008, 02:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

i had this problem with my midlength headers. the shop had to grind a little around the edge of the steering shaft to clear and its close now, but not a big problem. the only time it hits now is when im in reverse and the steering wheel is turned a certain way.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:35 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just like fast01 did you will prob have to do some grinding. This is a common problem w/ both the LTx and Lsx esp. w/ Longtubes.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:09 PM
Staging Lane

Default Steering shaft fix LS1 swap

Here is the fix I came up with! I am just going to give the short version of how to make a nice steering shaft! If you dont get my drift nor have the tools I suggest leaving it up to someone else!! This is a 93 Z28 with a LS2! I had to get the LS1 steering rack FE2 and a LS1 Steering shaft! Cut the shaft in half and use some 1 inch roll bar you will have sand a little bit of the inside out heat up shaft be carefull not to melt the rubber bushing push them together drill some holes and fill with weld!

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l...o/CIMG1223.jpg

Quick Reply: steering shaft hitting headers