Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

do you have to lube qa1 rod ends?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 12:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default do you have to lube qa1 rod ends?

i have been told by many that you don't need to lube the qa1 rod ends. my new umi panhard bar has a rod end on one side. some say lube, others say do not lube. what is the verdict?
Old 07-11-2008, 12:31 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there was a post a few days ago with a guy saying that he blew all the grease out of his lca, and with no grease it stopped squeaking, idk if its 100% true or if it will work the same on a panhardbar
Old 07-11-2008, 01:30 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my understanding was that the Qa1 rod ended were self lubed. see that whitish colored rubber around the inside of the rod end. I dont think you need to lube them.
Old 07-11-2008, 02:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default You should avoid doing so.

While a small amount cannot hurt, one should refrain from lubricating the QA1 XM_series due to it's self-lubricating injection moulded PTFE/kevlar layer between the chrome plated bearing and bearing race. This information came from a QA1 rep that I had a discussion with several years ago.

If you must clean them with a lubricant, then you should find some sort of non-hygroscopic/non-petroleum based "dry" PTFE spray to maybe clean off some undesired debris, otherwise, a clean dry rag should remove most, if not all of the unwanted debris.

My preferred cleaner would be something like SuperLube spray (not grease), which UMI sells on their website.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i saw that stuff on UMI's site. i figured if they made stuff for the qa1 ends, then you were supposed to use it. but since they are self lubricating, i didn't know.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Just spray with brake cleaner occasionally to keep clean and leave them alone. Even non self-lubricated versions do not need to be lubricated as the amount of motion and load based friction is incredibly low. Rod ends fail not from being run "dry" but from either mechanical damage/stress (pounding loads) or having dirt/particle damage.

Quick Reply: do you have to lube qa1 rod ends?