Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

those with lowered cars....you have this issue?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default those with lowered cars....you have this issue?

I love the ride, handling, and general road manners of my car (Strano springs, sway bars, Bilstein HD's, UMI PHB and LCA's) but this thing is not service friendly....here are some examples.

1. my $150 Craftsman floor jack doesn't fit under the car
2. wouldn't fit on Chevy dealer's alignment rack (y pipe hit the hydraulic box)
3. had to drive on 2x4's to get the pads on the lift under it
4. jack stands are too tall, it takes forever to set the car on them..(see #1)
5. I drag the plastic air dam pulling out of work everyday
6. I managed to drag a McDonald's cup over 4 miles because it got stuck in the merge on the Y pipe

geez, I love the stance, ride, etc...but lowering a car causes so many problems that I never thought of when I bought the springs....end rant!
Old 07-11-2008, 11:58 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

haha, I have all the same problems...but like you said, I love the stance and look, so well worth it to me....But there are so many places around here that I cant drive into because of the approach angle..oh well, cant have everything
Old 07-11-2008, 12:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

yea mine doesn't scrape bad but I haven't got it aligned with the new tires b/c of my td's being too low. I need to get some 2x4s myself to get it aligned. I bought the alignment lifetime warranty through brake check!!!
Old 07-11-2008, 12:10 PM
TECH Regular

I managed to drag a McDonald's cup over 4 miles because it got stuck in the merge on the Y pipe
HAHAHAHA
Old 07-11-2008, 12:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My car is lowered and I have the factory body kit. LIfe is a real pain when trying to do maintance on her, but that is the price of looking good. I drive my car on to some left over red bricks form building my house to get the jack under it seem to work ok for now. I feel your pain when it come to spending money on a jack and it still doesn't fit. Alginment on my car sucked as well I had to remove the lower fasica to have the beams from the alignment machine be able to pass under the car to align the front. Just about any where my car seems to scrap something, either the front body kit and or the air deflector, if the road is not flat. A way to avoid that is try taking the exits and hills at angle so one of the front wheels start to pick the car up befroe bottoming out. Speed bumps suck major ***** too the K- member bottoms out if the speed bumps are tall. So what it really boils down to is whether you want to pay the price of looking good repianting the body kit(never done) or buying a new deflector, but be limited on where you drive your car. I choose looking good. I know where I can and can not go where I live, so I don't go there. If I really had to go there it is time to take the Girlfriends car. I can say I never drug a McDonalds cup or anything under my car, sounds really funny. I had to laugh.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:48 PM
TECH Junkie

I share all but #5 with you, but in my eyes are all very minor issues that I can deal with. My paint isn't show car material by any means so I have no shame in kicking the ramps underneath or jamming the jack under the side. No one can see the bottom of my car anyway. I also have the OEM body extension pieces. I would think you wouldn't have these problems with a normal Camaro.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:19 PM
TECH Veteran

how about getting STUCK on a drive on ramp?

My car had SLP box subframes which made it even "lower" (less ground clearance). There have been times that driving onto a 4-post life, the subframes would drag and "hang up" on the lift. The humor in life.
Old 07-11-2008, 02:17 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by turbowhistle86
I love the ride, handling, and general road manners of my car (Strano springs, sway bars, Bilstein HD's, UMI PHB and LCA's) but this thing is not service friendly....here are some examples.

1. my $150 Craftsman floor jack doesn't fit under the car
2. wouldn't fit on Chevy dealer's alignment rack (y pipe hit the hydraulic box)
3. had to drive on 2x4's to get the pads on the lift under it
4. jack stands are too tall, it takes forever to set the car on them..(see #1)
5. I drag the plastic air dam pulling out of work everyday
6. I managed to drag a McDonald's cup over 4 miles because it got stuck in the merge on the Y pipe

geez, I love the stance, ride, etc...but lowering a car causes so many problems that I never thought of when I bought the springs....end rant!

lowered cars usually require different kinds of floor jacks...aluminum low profile jacks like so:

i have 3" TDs and don't have problems getting onto lifts or racks...sounds like you need a better tucking y-pipe, or have some custom tucking done to it
you're only jacking the car up an extra inch from when it was stock :o try using rhino ramps?
take driveways/inclines at angles
thats kinda funny, sorry

hope this helps. lowered cars really require some finesse sometimes, just apart of the nature of it
Old 07-11-2008, 07:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

The only thing that is semi annoying is my jack not fitting under my subframe connector to jack it up.

Guess I'll just buy a new low profile jack.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:08 PM
TECH Resident

i have a low pro floorjack, but i have all the other issues. not fitting on alignment racks, etc. just feel lucky that mcdonalds cup wasn't rotting roadkill you drug for 4 miles.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

I share the standard floor jack issue, but that's about it. And I'm way lower than you. As stated, a low profile jack is a must. If you can find an alignment shop with a pit type alignment rack that always helps (I go on standard racks just fine though). I scrape on speed bumps, but that could be fixed by replacing my junky y pipe.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:46 PM
12 Second Club

same problems here and i have true duals...i get stuck on speed bumps and scrap the mufflers alot dammit!!

looks and handles way better tho
Old 07-11-2008, 09:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All the same problems. To get it jacked up in the front I pull one side up on a couple chunks of 2X6 stacked on top of each other. That gives just enough clearance to get a normal (not low-pro) jack under it. The jack will go under the back without an issue. I also have 2 sets of stands. One of em is just a real small set from autozone that works great for most jobs, and a big set that is probably actually meant for trucks and the like that I use when I need the car way up there.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

I bought a cheap low profile jack from a large supercenter. I think its gm performace something or other. It fits under my car with the eibach kit. I do bottom out on speedbumps and that damn big chunk of asphalt that was in the middle of the road. I had no problem getting on an alignment rack at the shop that i went to. They did want me to pull it on there just incase it did bottom out.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have the exact same suspension parts as you. plus SLP subframe connectors (which are a waste of money). I also cannot put my craftsman floor jack under my car. I have to roll it up on blocks then roll the jack under to lift it the rest of the way. very annoying. But, most low-profile jacks are pricey.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:51 PM
TECH Resident

my low pro floorjack was $49 at Advance.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:12 PM
TECH Addict

i have raceramps from fast toys, specially made for lowered cars. drive right up and do whatever you want with it. they also sell 4" roll-ups, which are just small ramps for extra jacking height.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

"It's the nature of the beast!"

After driving my camaro lowered for over 9yrs it's just something you get use to.

Remember, it's not a problem if it has a solution.

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 07-11-2008 at 11:01 PM.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:28 PM
11 Second Club

Yeah, I feel all that pain ... I bought a brand new jack and jackstands, lifted the car, put the new springs/shocks on and lowered it and couldn't get the jack out from underneath ... lol ... had to lower the car on 2X4s, then lift from the side again and get the 2x4's out ... car looks good though ... hmmm
Old 07-12-2008, 12:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by EchoMirage
i have raceramps from fast toys, specially made for lowered cars. drive right up and do whatever you want with it. they also sell 4" roll-ups, which are just small ramps for extra jacking height.
i wanted a set of these, but for the price its not worth it...can build your own ramps out of a few peices of wood.

Quick Reply: those with lowered cars....you have this issue?