Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Great to be here, but I need some serious help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 06:11 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Great to be here, but I need some serious help!!!

Hey all,

I don't post all that often but have lurked on this site and utilized a lot of its information for some time now.

I am in the middle of my own little version of the Year One Trans Am - I have a '78 Trans AM that I currently has an LS1 in it to get it going but will eventually be upgraded to a maggie. It is such a fun project, but I just wish I didn't have to work on my kitchen so much...who needs a countertop and sink anyway!!!

My problem, however, is not with this car...yet...but with my '06 Brazen Orange Metallic SAP Pontiac GTO.

Several months back I was caught in a situation on one of Pennsy's "premier" highways where I could not avoid hitting the pothole from hell. At first when I brought the car to the dealership (ridiulous amount of warrantee on this car) I was told I waffled the front rims (knew that), blew the front driverside strut (figured that) and needed to get my rotors recut.

Replaced what was told I needed and have been back several times since...the car still does not feel right. Last time in i was told my back two rims are bad and this is where my pissed offness really escalates. The dealership put the back two rims up front and the brand new ones out back so there is NO WAY the back two are bad and I feel like these guys are not even looking at it and have no clue what they are doing.

Here is the symptoms at this point:

You can here and audible thumping that is felt in the pedal (drive by wire remind you) but you can also feel it in the frotn wheel. When you are barely moving or moving quickly you start to feel a much more intensified thump when the wheel is barely turned - either direction. It is more noticable in my opinion turning to the right.

At this point I got another pair of rims so I am going to replace the front two because I personally believe they were damaged also from the original hit...it was ridiculous and this situation is seriously killing me because this car is my baby. BUT I also believe there is STILL something wrong in the front end and they (the dealer) said they did a thorough check of the front end. My theory is that the impact damaged the front bearings and they are all jacked up now but they did not replace them after cutting the rotors...

Is there any other ideas?!?!? PLEASE HELP!!!!

Thanks guys and great to be here. I'll start a build thread soon!

Bandit Dave
Old 07-15-2008, 08:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

If your front end was that damaged from the impact there is no way the front spindles are good. I have seen them bend even from just light impacts.

As far as the noise goes I think you might be correct in guessing the wheel bearing was also damaged.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:40 AM
TECH Resident

Dammit...I was thinking that the whole time from as soon as I hit the pothole but I would have thought the dealership would have checked/caught that...i am really disheartened by how few real CAR GUYS there are at the dealerships these days...they just don't exist anymore.

My problem is I don't want to touch anything because of warrantee concerns...we are talking big bucks to replace and I bet the dealership thinks I won't find the issue or have no clue what it is.

Thanks man...
Dave
Old 07-15-2008, 06:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would go wheelbearing too. If it is under warantee, I would try a different dealership. Even if it is farther from the house, it will be worth it to get a second opinion on the problem. I would bet wheel bearing or spindle, or a combination of the two.