Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Did a burnout, now brakes squeak

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 01:22 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did a burnout, now brakes squeak

So I decided to do my first burn out since I was getting new tires. Did the old stand on the brake and roast em in place for about 15 secs or so. Now my rear brakes squeak. Can't imagine why?!?!?! What's the fix for this? Tear them apart and push the cylinder back into the caliper and hope that "resets" it? Brakes have plenty of life left otherwise I would just change them out. Thoughts??

edit: forgot to say they do it when I'm not braking and it goes away when I turn left.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

just change them. probably did more than what you think to them. 15 seconds depending on how many rpms you were turning could make the rotors glow thus ruin the pads.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:43 AM
Launching!

Shitty. Well I guess I'll tear everything apart, check it all out, and lube whatever needs lubed and see what happens. Lesson learned. Get line locks!!!

Originally Posted by Ntimid8r7
just change them. probably did more than what you think to them. 15 seconds depending on how many rpms you were turning could make the rotors glow thus ruin the pads.
Old 07-16-2008, 06:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

...Pushing the caliper piston back in won't do anything, its always keeping the pad slightly on the rotor. Once you push it back in and then apply the brakes, you'll be right where you started...
Either your pads are worn out and the squeaker is rubbing, or they're just worn bad now making them squeak...more than likely they're worn out.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:31 PM
On The Tree

Go down to a parts store and buy a can of brake squeal stop/prevention. It comes in a can or bottle and is usually red. When brakes squeal and they don't show wear it's usually the pad vibrating at a extremely high frequency in the caliper that sounds like a squeal commonly mistaken for bad parts. All pads should have some type of insulation, lube or type of dampening compound on the back of the pad when installed new. When you roasted your rubber you probably scorched it off and now they squeal. Try it, if it works WOO HOO. If not your out 4 bucks. Better to be safe than sorry.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:34 PM
On The Tree

If you do decide to replace the pads MAKE SURE YOU YOUR ROTORS HAVE ENOUGH MATERIAL BE TURNED ON A LAITH!!! IF THEY CAN DO IT!!! You always give new pads a new surface to mate with or you will have the came issue again.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:53 AM
Launching!

Thanks for the advice guys.

FireChicken your only about an hour from me.

I haven't heard of that spray in a can before but I will give it a shot. I'll make sure I check the rotors, and if I do start replacing pads, I may just get new ones. I've done brakes a bunch of times on my Sunfire so it's not completely foreign to me.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:04 PM
Launching!

Thumbs down

Sigh, back to the top

New pads and rotors on all 4 corners of the car. Bought the best pads and rotors they had at Autozone. I still have a squeak/scrape scrape scrape scrape from the driver rear of the car. At least they took care of my squeaking when I'd first touch the brakes. I've done searching and have seen that wheel bearings going bad can also make the same kind of noises. Assuming that I have everything installed and lubed correctly, would this be my next course of action to eliminate this noise? I can try and get video if you guys want.

I'm super pissed because this was not a fun job at all in a single car garage with very little space to move around. I'm not looking forward to tearing into this again. May just take it to a shop and say screw it.

Quick Reply: Did a burnout, now brakes squeak