Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rear LS1 brake swap

Old 07-19-2008, 04:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rear LS1 brake swap

Hello everyone, sort of new to the forum. I post frequently over at www.s10forum.com , which is how I learned about this site.

I have an 01' S10 extended cab, discs in front with drums out back, and I'm about to start to do an LS1 rear disc swap. I know what I need and everything, but I'm turning to you guys for an opinion.

Are aftermarket or rebuilt calipers from a parts store any worse or better than the OEM ones? Or are they the same?

I'll be going with the stock size rotors up front and the stock calipers, with a set of Hawk ceramic pads and some Power-Slot slotted rotors with the hub inside the rotor (darn hubs, I wish I had the money to buy a Blazer drop spindle and hub )
In the back I'd like to do a set of LS1 brakes with the stock size rotor but a slotted one once again from Power-Slot.

The slotted is just for the looks, call me what you will.

Cliff notes: What do you suggest as far as a caliper, rebuilt from part store, or OEM?
Old 07-19-2008, 07:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Do the LT1 unstead, it has the parking brake build into the caliper, the LS1 you have to do the parking brake inside the disc. I had a 98 ext cab Sonoma 6 speed LS1 I converted to LT1 rear disc when I put the 8.5 rear in. wasn't that hard of swap. Just get rebuild OEM best bank for the buck.. Check in the for sale section. You should be able to get the calipers and disc for a lt1 cheap in the 100.00-150.00 range, check out the junk yards for the backing plates and brackets.

Also check out the 4 wheel drive S-10s they had 2 piston calipers on the front, much better than the metric single piston.
Old 07-19-2008, 07:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Awesome I totally forgot all about the 4WD S10's. It's really hard to find backing plates, but are the LS1 and LT1 backing plates the same?
Old 07-20-2008, 06:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

10 bolt have the same pattern on the tube ends Backing plates will work on your rear, yes there is a diff in the backing plates between lt1 and ls1

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear LS1 brake swap