Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Steering problem?

Old 07-22-2008, 12:39 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering problem?

Hey everyone,

Well my car has a handling problem, i think . While driving straight my 2000 trans am feels as iff the steering is loose. I have to fight the steering to keep the car going straight. The car feels as if its loose left and right. What could this be?

When i first got the car it drove perfectly fine and tight but now it feels sloppy and not right. The car fromwhat i know has full suspension and is lowwered on sportlines with Bilsteins. What should i look for when i go to tighten things or what do i need to change to fix this problem? I cant even take turns fast without sweating.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

You need to shake down the frontend. Possibly a bad inner or outer tierod end. The rack might also be going bad and has play in it. There is also a rag joint of some kind between the rack and steering shaft. The best way to diagnose these problems is to jack up the car with both front wheels off the ground. grab the front tire and shake at 9 and 3 oclock and then 12 and 6 oclock. watch for any parts to be moving without the part moving behind them. Repeat on other side. After replacing any worn out parts, you must take it to a shop to have an alignment done.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:36 PM
Teching In

WOW. Hey thanks alot for your help, Im going to lift it up tonight hopefully.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:40 PM
Teching In

ANd one more thing, The front passenger side camber it not right. Its only the right front and its been aligned but still pulls. That tie rod end is still good and when i look under the car the camber was already set to Negative all the way. Could this be it?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Steering problem?