Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rear parking brake dragging

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 11:25 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear parking brake dragging

Hey guys.

So I think I narrowed down where the scraping noise is coming from on my rear brakes. I made sure I tested to make sure the scraping noise was still there as I took everything apart. With nothing but the rotor installed, the scraping was still there. So I figured they just needed adjusted. I have the things adjusted all the way in, and the brakes still drag when I spin the rotor. Also what I assume is the adustment "holder" thingy was just hanging around in thee, not doing anything.

So now what? I've got them adjusted all the way in, and they still drag? Could they be hung up somewhere? Maybe I'll just rip the damn things off and keep the car in gear when it's parked. My haynes manual says nothing about replacement. I'm at a loss guys. If I don't figure out something within the next couple days it's going to the dealer. I'm tired of dicking with it.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:39 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Its a pretty simple mechanism and ripping it out wouldn't be a very safe way to go.

The brake itself is only one piece, so the only way it can drag is if it is physically ripped in two or if it is out of place somehow.

Do you have the drag on just one side of the car?

With the parking brake off and the rotor off, can you move the shoe around? (You should not be able to.) It should be held in place by the hold down spring/clip (part #12) and the adjustment mechanism. Maybe you've lost the clip or something, allowing it to **** to the side and drag? (See attachment)
Attached Thumbnails Rear parking brake dragging-parking-brake-schematic.jpg  
Old 07-26-2008, 04:11 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by wssix99
Its a pretty simple mechanism and ripping it out wouldn't be a very safe way to go.

The brake itself is only one piece, so the only way it can drag is if it is physically ripped in two or if it is out of place somehow.

Do you have the drag on just one side of the car?

With the parking brake off and the rotor off, can you move the shoe around? (You should not be able to.) It should be held in place by the hold down spring/clip (part #12) and the adjustment mechanism. Maybe you've lost the clip or something, allowing it to **** to the side and drag? (See attachment)
Nah I'm not going to just rip it off. I posted that out of frustration

There's a couple of clips that broke/came out when I was screwing with it. I know one was the adjustment retainer clip so basically what I'm looking at is replacing the parking brake right? I just wish my haynes manual had instruction to replace this since I have never touched drum style brakes before. I may just put it back together and send her to a shop to get done. It's going to be an awesome day on Monday and my baby will be sitting either in the garage or at the shop.
Old 07-27-2008, 03:45 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

If you have all the parts, you shouldn't have to replace anything. Its a really simple mechanism, that shouldn't really wear out, and is only held in place by friction and one screw. (And then there's the lever, which is held in place by a cheap rubber boot and two screws on the back.)

The catch is that if you are missing a part, the pieces are really only available in a kit where you have to buy everything from the dealer - big $$$. The only exception I've found is the rubber boot on the back, which has been recently made available from a company in TX. (The parking brake on these cars is a patented mechanism by a company in Australia http://www.pbr.com.au/technology/parkbrakes.shtml so fixing these is not as cheap or simple as a "normal" domestic car - because the parts are hard to get.)

Not even the GM factory manual really gives instructions. (There are just two lines.) Once you've done a drum brake and have a picture like the one above, that should be all one needs.
Old 07-27-2008, 09:10 PM
Launching!

Well,somehow I fixed it. I actually put the brakes back together and went to drive it to a shop to get it looked at and it didn't make any noise. I have no clue what I did, but I don't care. As long as it doesn't make noise and the parking brake still holds, I'm happy. Thanks for the schematic. I'm going to keep that handy just in case those parts that fell off cause a problem LOL

Quick Reply: Rear parking brake dragging