Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Technical shock expert needed here..

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 07:47 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Technical shock expert needed here..

Wondering what front shock would be best for drag racing based on these specs:

Shock A*:
Compressed length of 8.51
Extended length of 13.44

Shock B:
Compressed length of 11.20
Extended length of 16.20

The * on shock A is that I would have to use 3.5" shock extensions for my application. Shock B is exact replacement.

Technically which shock would perform better, give more lift etc...
These are both 90/10 shocks.
Thanks!
Old 07-30-2008, 11:35 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by YO-EL

Shock A*:
Extended length of 13.44

Shock B:
Extended length of 16.20

The * on shock A is that I would have to use 3.5" shock extensions for my application. Shock B is exact replacement.

Thanks!
What type of car? If it is for the car in your sig, I would get a bolt in replacement. No way I would use shock extensions on a coilover.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Lightbulb

Shock A*:
Extended length of 13.44

Shock B:
Extended length of 16.20

Thanks!
I'm really sure what you need is a compressed length of 14.5", and a extended length of 19.5" for stock type mounting. IMO, both of those shocks are way to short for the front.
FYI, I got this info from the QA1 website.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:33 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
I'm really sure what you need is a compressed length of 14.5", and a extended length of 19.5" for stock type mounting. IMO, both of those shocks are way to short for the front.
FYI, I got this info from the QA1 website.
Shock "B" is QA1's exact replacement for the C5..
Stocker Star "R" Series
Old 07-31-2008, 10:53 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

PLEASE run your stock shocks on that car. Please.

Background: Base C5's have very little low-speed rebound damping in the front shocks. In short they don't keep the car from weight tranferring and they drive better on the street then "Drag shocks". We PM'ed, we spoke on the phone and explained why (or tried) why the stock shocks are better. Seems that's not sinking in and I can't understand why when he's already seen the stock shocks not only leave better, but drive better than drag shocks why we're still going after a different set.

You need to understand how the shocks work, not just listen to the tag-line "drag shock". How was I unclear exactly? More rebound damping slows the pitch rate (the nose rising). You don't want that in a drag car, but you do want some decent control of it on the road. The fact is base C5 shocks don't have much low-speed force there, which is why the car does move. But they have more forces at higher piston speeds which is why the car doesn't drive like *** at speed. You put a set of Lakewoods on it and made it not better, but worse. What does that tell you?

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 07-31-2008, 02:17 PM
TECH Junkie

I didn't know much about c5 shocks, but now I do. Sam just broke it all down and explained the characteristics you want the car to do. Seems like instead of using what you have which is better, you would end up paying money for shocks that will be worse.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:15 PM
10 Second Club

Just inquiring..

How will the experts at Carerra or HAL who make the QA1's Stocker Star R series drag shocks for C5's react upon reading your opinion?

I am curious to see an intellectual debate on this subject.

Last edited by YO-EL; 07-31-2008 at 04:46 PM.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Cool

My bad! Didn't know you had a vette,that's info is for a camaro/firebird 93+
Old 07-31-2008, 05:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Here's some koni adjustables:
KON 3013 1023SPORT Front w/Adjustable Drop; 3013 Series; Damper; Mono Tube High Pressure Gas; Externally Adjustable.

Check to see if Sam has them

^ Yeah, Sam has them. ^

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 07-31-2008 at 05:35 PM.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:52 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Just inquiring..

How will the experts at Carerra or HAL who make the QA1's Stocker Star R series drag shocks for C5's react upon reading your opinion?

I am curious to see an intellectual debate on this subject.
Do any of them you think have the dyno curves? Do you think that any of them will tell you that the OEM shocks don't even have 50 lbs. of rebound force until the piston speed passes 3 in/sec? That's nothing. You can't have less rebound than almost none.

Do you understand what any of that means? If not then you need to learn about the shocks before asking which is better for this use. Your shocks are not what I'd run if I wanted the car to handle. What's more is I'm not trying to sell you Koni's either (though if you want the best of both they are a great option). I'm trying to help you not waste money. You can take the advice for what it's worth, I guess.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 07-31-2008, 08:38 PM
10 Second Club

Sam, I don't want my car to "handle"

Its a drag strip car.

I'm looking for the best launch & 60' I can get for my mid-upper 10 second C5.

Yes I do drive to and from the track but I could care less about how it handles on the road. Its straight up the hiway, and I drive very passive until I hit the dragstrip.

I want quarter mile straight line performance only.

I don't want you to think I'm not listening to you, please don't come down hard on me for experimenting.

If stock shocks work the best on the track, thats what I'll use.

If the QA1's give me better 60''s, then I'll use them.....

You seem to think I am concerned about "handling".
I am not.

I am concerned with getting the best launch & 60' for my car when I race.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:57 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Ok, I give up. What have I said that's so confusing to you? I didn't say you needed to make the car handle, I didn't say you needed to put Koni's on it. Did I? No.

I'm trying to educate you. You don't want to listen to what I'm telling you. I tried to explain that rebound damping is NOT what you want from your shocks. You then told me your Lakewood 90/10's you tried made the car WORSE and those are "drag shocks", or am I not recalling our conversation correctly? As for what the others will tell you, who knows. They are out to sell parts, I like to sell parts. Difference is I don't like to sell something that won't help. Most folks like that about me, but some don't......

Do you understand that you want LESS rebound damping for your use? On the phone you kept saying you wanted more (and that's wrong, most especially given how adamant you are about how it's a DRAG car and you don't "care" about how it handles). Though you did tell me it'd be nice if it didn't drive like crap.

Until you can tell me that you grasp that the lesser amount of low-speed rebound damping in front is what promotes the quickest weight transfer, I can't help. Once you get that and understand that 50 lbs of force and less is next to nothing, you'll realize why I'm trying to tell you to NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY. Don't worry though... that's the last time I'll say it.

Old 08-01-2008, 05:26 AM
10 Second Club

OK..

Let me put this in basic terms..

I am under the impression that more rebound, (extension) lends to better/quicker weight transfer, (front end lift), which promotes better launch & 60'...

Is this premise incorrect?
Old 08-01-2008, 07:04 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn, you are already in the 10 second club. What are you looking for 9s?
Old 08-01-2008, 08:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

OK..

Let me put this in basic terms..

I am under the impression that more rebound, (extension) lends to better/quicker weight transfer, (front end lift), which promotes better launch & 60'...

Is this premise incorrect?
This is the exact opposite of true.
Old 08-09-2008, 12:42 PM
TECH Junkie

I think both are agreeing on the same thing. Just that when Yo says more rebound, he's thinking the car rebound's more with less rebound dampening, and when Sam says more rebound he means more rebound dampening.

Quick Reply: Technical shock expert needed here..