Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

BMR Crossmember

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default BMR Crossmember

Okay listen up all you guys with tunnel mounted torque arms. I know when I put my UMI torque arm on it made my gear whine 20x worse...I was actually embarrassed when I drove girls around because the stupid whine was so loud...well I took my friends advice. I bought just the crossmember from BMR. It's different as it welds into the subframe connectors instead of bolting to the floor. Man did it make a world of difference. I went from getting headaches from the gear whine to now I have to listen to hear it...this is w/ a stock 10 bolt w/ richmond 4.10 gears.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:25 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thats really odd, I am sorry to hear it didn't work out. Did you happen to call tech support and see if they had any points or advice to get it working better? I have daily driven one of these torque arms for 4 years now with no issues. Actually I just drove it today round trip of 400 miles with a S60 and 4.10's... not a sound, vibration or whine and not a single complaint from the girl

Again, sorry it didn't work out

Ryan
Old 07-31-2008, 05:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well I had called tech support earlier this year with a problem w/ the crossmemeber that the dsl would hit the balancing weight on my driveshaft if i ever hit a decent sized bump which caused my suspension to become partially unloaded. All I got out of that is that the dsl is made to fit a variety of different kinds and I should get a small driveshaft from my ls1 driveshaft so I had my friend custom made brackets to lower my crossmember 3/16" which worked brilliantly except for I kept bottoming out w/ the crossmember...I'm not trying to dog your stuff just sharing my experiences... I have your sfc, relocation brackets and actual torque arm and couldn't be happier
Old 07-31-2008, 08:12 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by transamws6_97
Okay listen up all you guys with tunnel mounted torque arms. I know when I put my UMI torque arm on it made my gear whine 20x worse...I was actually embarrassed when I drove girls around because the stupid whine was so loud...well I took my friends advice. I bought just the crossmember from BMR. It's different as it welds into the subframe connectors instead of bolting to the floor. Man did it make a world of difference. I went from getting headaches from the gear whine to now I have to listen to hear it...this is w/ a stock 10 bolt w/ richmond 4.10 gears.
Thanks for your support. If you have any questions or need any further help with anything please give us a call. Our tech dept is available mon-fri 8:30am-6:00pm.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 07-31-2008, 10:40 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ryan,

I was running almost the same set up as you except I have 4.30's in my S60. For life of me I couldn't get that tunnel mount arm to be quiet, it always clunked and vibrated. I called tech support several times (they were always very helpful and spent as much time as required on the phone). I tried setting the pinion angle( real pain because the bolts for the TA bracket are right up on the S60 housing) and also tightened everything as much as I could.

I finally gave up and took it off my car. I still have it though and would love to use it.

Just want you to know everything else on my is UMI and have never had a problem. Stuff is great. It's no fun looking under the car at the nice suspension components and then see the turd of a stock torque arm.

I also purchsed a UMI relocation kit to use my stock arm but when I used it changed the pinion angle and caused vibration.

In short I would much rather use my body mount torque arm if I could get it to work.

Any suggested tips.

Thanks
Old 07-31-2008, 10:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would try BMR's crossmember as long as you have sfc because you need those to install the crossmember...its worth a shot. I don't really understand how it can make that much of a difference...my only theory is that by UMI's mounting to the floor pan it made it like a stethascope and amplified the gear whine vs BMR's which channels the sound out of the car....idk just the only logical reason I can think of
Old 07-31-2008, 11:05 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ElChiefWS602
Ryan,

I was running almost the same set up as you except I have 4.30's in my S60. For life of me I couldn't get that tunnel mount arm to be quiet, it always clunked and vibrated. I called tech support several times (they were always very helpful and spent as much time as required on the phone). I tried setting the pinion angle( real pain because the bolts for the TA bracket are right up on the S60 housing) and also tightened everything as much as I could.

I finally gave up and took it off my car. I still have it though and would love to use it.

Just want you to know everything else on my is UMI and have never had a problem. Stuff is great. It's no fun looking under the car at the nice suspension components and then see the turd of a stock torque arm.

I also purchsed a UMI relocation kit to use my stock arm but when I used it changed the pinion angle and caused vibration.

In short I would much rather use my body mount torque arm if I could get it to work.

Any suggested tips.

Thanks
Give me a call and i will set you up with our crossmember. We don't have the crossmember listed on our site so you need to give us a call. It sells for $79.95. It will work fine as long as you have frame connectors installed. We also have a video on our site that shows the correct way to set your pinion angle. I will post a link. If you have any questions we are in the office till 6pm est mon-fri.

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/index.htm
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 07-31-2008, 11:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.gnetworks.com/v4/go.gnf?s...&listTemplate=
Old 07-31-2008, 11:31 AM
11 Second Club

So will that get rid of the floorboard clunking.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

I never had any problems w/ clunking or any suspension noises from the UMI mount...just loud gear whine
Old 07-31-2008, 02:51 PM
11 Second Club

I have no gear whine but it seems the floorboard is clunking or flexing when your on/off the gas or downshift.?? Car only has 29000 miles and while it was at speedinc today they said it all looked set up right and nothing was loose. Not sure what to do. think Ill call the tech line right now.

Quick Reply: BMR Crossmember