Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Torque arm question

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 08:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torque arm question

I just bought a 99 TA M6 and I am going through it with a fine tooth comb, freshening up everything. During daily driving, I was having what I thought was exhaust hitting the underside of the car and at the same time having trouble shifting from 3rd to 4th. I would have to hold the clutch in a little longer to get into 4th. Today, i was underneath the car looking at the tranny mount (gonna replace with poly soon) and noticed the torque arm bracket was blown apart and the torque arm was just hanging there. So here is the question, with the torque arm mount busted can that affect shifting gears???? (Tranny is on a fresh rebuild under a 1000 miles)
Old 08-10-2008, 08:58 PM
12 Second Club

Don't know about shifting but when I broke mine it sounded like helicopter under my car when I got on it. Driveshaft hitting in tunnel and on torque arm. But I don't recall shifting problems. I only had to drive it 2 miles like that though(very slowly).
Old 08-10-2008, 09:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had the bolt that holds my torque arm on come off during a quarter mile run.

Scared the **** out of me as it banged on the shift, but I completed my run anyways after slowly going into 4th.

Examined underneath to see it hanging so I drove home very carefully. Each launch caused a bang along with shifts and bumps, but just don't go hard on it as you can hear that each time you apply torque.
Old 08-10-2008, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

I need to look under my car again, because I thought the banging I was hearing was the shitty custom y-pipe hitting the floor. Maybe its the torque arm. Ill have to check that out as soon as I can.
Old 08-11-2008, 01:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

FIX IT IMMEDIATELY!

If you look on the driver's side of the TA, you'll see some hard fluid lines. Care to guess what they are? Brake and fuel lines!!

When I broke my mount once, the only thing keeping the front end of the arm under the car is that the mount was caught in the lines. Bent the crap out of them, too. Luckily, no breaks or kinks.