Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

brake issues...

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 11:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake issues...

I'm having a rather serious problem with my brakes.

I just got my calipers powdercoated by the PowderPro's (they look awesome by the way). So i am putting them together, and bleed the brake lines about 4 times....brake pedal went straight to the floor...so then i vacuum bled it. that didnt work so I used TECH2 to bleed the ABS. brake pedal still goes straight to the floor, however, once it gets to the bottom, it seems that i have a little braking pressure (not a whole lot). I went throught the TECH2 procedure 4 times and still the same result. It seems air somehow keeps getting in the system. I dont understand. no leaks found. I was thinking maybe the brake pedal needed to be adjusted, but there is no adjustment...sooooo i'm at a loss. any ideas are appreciated. thanks!!!
Old 08-12-2008, 11:26 AM
Staging Lane

one question i also had...

for the front calipers, we had forgotten which ones go on which side, so we installed them with the bleeder screw on the bottom. was this wrong and could this be the cause of my problem? maybe the calipers are simply on the wrong sides. i guess same question would apply to the rears.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gringo
so we installed them with the bleeder screw on the bottom. was this wrong and could this be the cause of my problem?
Ding ding ding ... you nailed it.

You are bleeding air and air rises in a liquid environment. If the air outlet is the bottom, you'll never get the air bled out.

Swap sides and you'll be fine.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:59 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by mitchntx
Ding ding ding ... you nailed it.

You are bleeding air and air rises in a liquid environment. If the air outlet is the bottom, you'll never get the air bled out.

Swap sides and you'll be fine.
just to follow up....

i switched them and everything is wonderful...in fact better than they used to be before i took anything off the first time. maybe it was the couple gallons of brake fluid that has been through the lines, haha. anyways, thanks

note for everyone else who messes with their calipers....ALWAYS have the bleeder screw on top!
Old 08-12-2008, 10:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

LOL. Thats a common mistake for someone that doesn't work on cars all the time. Bleeder valve UP.