Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Brake Problem; Looking For What Part to Buy

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 09:09 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Problem; Looking For What Part to Buy

Hey everyone,

Just got done having my brakes put on by Tim (aka: Gangreen) yesterday. Everything went fine except for the front passenger side install.

Forgive me if I dont know the correct terminology as this was the first time I have seen it done so bear with me.

On the brackets that the calipers attach to there are 2 pieces that depress to allow movement of the calipers. The bottom one was fine and allowed the caliper to go back on with the new pads no problem, but the top one was frozen and no matter what what tried, it would not budge. So it was decided that I would need to get a new one. And for the time being we put the old pads back in since they were more worn down and allowed the caliper to slide back on.

Now the questions are:
1) What part do I need?
2) Where would I get it from?
3) About how much should it run me?

Please let me know ASAP as I need to get this done before next weekend since I will be going back to school and dont have no access to tools, or someone like Tim to get it done for me.

Thanks in advance. And thanks to Tim for helping me out again!
Old 08-18-2008, 09:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's called an abutment bracket.

The bracket is a dealer item, although if you go to autozone and purchase a "caliper kit" it will come with a new caliper, pads, bracket and guide pins. I think the cost was under $50 exchange. Not sure if the bracket is available seperately or not.

The pins are called guide pins. The pins are available from Autozone as well.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:03 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by mitchntx

The bracket is a dealer item, although if you go to autozone and purchase a "caliper kit" it will come with a new caliper, pads, bracket and guide pins. I think the cost was under $50 exchange. Not sure if the bracket is available seperately or not.

Thanks Mitch,

So would you recommend just buying the abutment bracket from my local dealer since I have everything else at the moment? Since we couldnt get the pin out, I would assume i could not just order those new. And would the guide pins come with the abutment bracket?

Also do you have any idea what the part number would be for a dealer?

Last edited by F-117HWK; 08-18-2008 at 11:14 AM.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:23 AM
TECH Regular

Ok, I just called the dealer, and to order the abutment bracket and guide pins it would be $103 for the bracket and $18 for the guide pins. Now I saw you were saying under $50 with exchange. Opinions?
Old 08-18-2008, 03:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mitchntx

You'll have to give them your old caliper and bracket assembly.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:20 PM
TECH Regular

Gotcha, thanks again! I just went ahead and bit the bullet and ordered the new bracket and pins from the dealer cause I dont have any way to get the old one off and to Autozone unless I took it off in their parking lot
Old 08-18-2008, 08:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

You dont actually have to bring them in at the time of purchase. Its called a core charge. You will pay $50 a caliper when you buy the rebuilt ones, then when you bring the old ones back (cores) you will get your $50 back.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:24 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 99345hp
You dont actually have to bring them in at the time of purchase. Its called a core charge. You will pay $50 a caliper when you buy the rebuilt ones, then when you bring the old ones back (cores) you will get your $50 back.
Well I dont need the actual caliper, and the piece is not working correctly, so I dont even know if they would have taken it back. None the less, the parts should be in tomorrow, so hopefully its the right parts.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:41 AM
TECH Regular

Picked up the parts, and its what I needed. Woot!