Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Help with front struts(i need an alternative)

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 04:58 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help with front struts(i need an alternative)

Hey guys one of my struts just doesnt want to loosen up. i think the nut is rusted to the base and the threads as well. it has soaked in a combo of wd 40 and deep creep for days and it still doesnt want to loosen. i tried to fit a saw in between to cut the rod n kinda fucked the side of the rubber mount up. my question is can i buy one someplace other than gm. i cant just hook vise grips up because the leverage isnt there for that method. it needs a breaker bar for sure... also you cant cut the shiney part of the rod cuz its really tuff steel. help with suggestions please.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:10 PM
On The Tree

Try a exhaust shop with a plasma cutter or a cutting torch. Only takes a minute and maybe able to get it done for free. GM is the only place i know of unless you can get one from a scrap yard.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:11 PM
Teching In

Just to clarify you're attempting to cut the retaining nut on the top of the strut to reuse the mounting bracket, right? If so, I was in a similar bind a week ago. I ended up placing the entire assembly in a vice and hitting the nut with an 800 ft/lb impact wrench. My next option was to use a dremel with a little cut wheel on the nut. Luckily the impact tools worked.

If you're interested in actually cutting the strut in half.... well I'd suggest a vise and a grinder with a cut wheel. I'm sure you've already done this, but just to confirm, make sure the spring is compressed, and anti-seize the new strut.

Last edited by Wisp; 08-18-2008 at 05:12 PM. Reason: reworded.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:17 PM
12 Second Club

well i just got it off...im tellin you guys im ****** pissed, i got a bar on it and broke the nut free from the base but it just spun and spun and spun....so i beat the **** outta the end to get the socket off...the rod broke at the bottom of the nut. so problem solved right, wrong i started beating the mount to make it come off well the steel sleeve in the center welded itself to the rod. so i got the mount off but it tore off the stell center sleeve thing. now i need another one of those and i think it will still work. i was beating the **** outta it though, but it woulda broke reguardless due to the two pieces becoming one...i feel like im working on a mustang. what do you guys recommend to fix it now?
Old 08-18-2008, 05:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

i think youre talking about the nut at the top by that rubber bushing. When i did mine it was stuck as well but i got a grinder out and cut off that nut. then just went and bought another one.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:23 PM
12 Second Club

i called the dealership and they said something like 125 or 140! ill have to buy one i guess cuz its screwed up a bit.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ran into this same problem doing my car....my advise - pack the top with grease so it doesn't happen again!
Old 08-18-2008, 07:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just buy the upper mounts at a parts store. Monroe part number 902947 and 902948...I just happen to have a pair in my living room.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:50 PM
12 Second Club

sweet thanks for the part numbers i was just gunna try and get a new steel cylinder thing to put in the inside of the mount. the stock steel thing wont come off the strut still. I got the other one in though so 75% of my strano koni kit is in. thanks for the quick replys guys, its appreciated!
Old 08-19-2008, 07:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

you could just spray some deep creep on that steel thing then hit it off with a hammer. you can use a vice to hold it in place.

Quick Reply: Help with front struts(i need an alternative)