Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

lowering 1st gen. Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 12:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default lowering 1st gen. Camaro

I see lots of adds for drop spindles for these older cars, but are they needed to lower the front of one of these cars? On my 1996 TA all I needed was the adjustable Hal coilover shocks Can I use lower the front of a 1st gen. this way too?
Old 08-19-2008, 01:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You could cut coils, or use the Hal coil overs. However, the first-gens had some really nasty front end geometry, and just lowering by either of those two methods might give some weird handling characteristics. Hotchkis and Global West are two outfits that come to mind, that offer front a-arms that have corrected geometry built into them.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a prostreet 69 camaro that is lowered... I am running all stock control arms ect with cut moroso trick springs with comp eng 3-way shocks.. Handles great on the street and strip.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the replies.
What I want to do is use stock C5 upper and lower A arms and also the stock C5 spindles. This is why I wondered about the spindles. I am definitely going to use the Hal coil overs, but was unsure if the C5 spindles would work good with these or if I would need drop spindles too.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

So it looks like from the replies above that I don't need the drop spindles, but that the stock C5's will work just fine. What would someone want to use drop spindles for if they are not needed in such an application?

thanks
Old 08-20-2008, 07:35 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Rare96WS6
Thanks for the replies.
What I want to do is use stock C5 upper and lower A arms and also the stock C5 spindles. This is why I wondered about the spindles. I am definitely going to use the Hal coil overs, but was unsure if the C5 spindles would work good with these or if I would need drop spindles too.

Unless my eyes aren't working too well, I didn't see this tidbit of information in the original post. This make it a WHOLE different deal. Yeah, just get all your mounting points located properly, and you'll be in good shape.

OK, having said that, it's really easy to spend other people's money...Have you looked at the DSE front clip? I do believe it's all set up for the 'Vette parts, and although it might cost a little extra money up front, it would save you a lot of fabrication....
Old 08-24-2008, 06:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have looked at the DSE stuff, but my front clip is in great condition. What do you mean by fabricating? Some of the other 1st gen. cars have the C5 A arms just bolted right up. Is there somethign else to this?

thanks.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I know hotchkis makes some suspension products for a first gen. You may want to check them out.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like my hal Adj. coilovers on my 1st gen.. lots of control arm choices out there. Keep us informed with your project many more people may be curious as well..
Old 08-25-2008, 02:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Rare96WS6
I have looked at the DSE stuff, but my front clip is in great condition. What do you mean by fabricating? Some of the other 1st gen. cars have the C5 A arms just bolted right up. Is there somethign else to this?

thanks.

I haven't seen anything in person, so I can't comment for sure. One thing I do know, however, is that the 1st gen cars did not have ideal geometry. As was normal for many cars of that time, they did not have any "negative camber gain" built into the front ends. This caused the outer edge of the tires to "roll over" during hard cornering. Because of this, I'm questioning the wisdom of simply bolting in the C-5 control arms. It might work, but I'd becareful of the geometry....

A "quick and dirty" crutch for the "camber gain" situation, back in the 60s, was to redrill the upper control arm mounting holes in a lower position. This was called the "Guldstrand Modification", as it was thought up by noted California Chevrolet racer of the time, Dick Guldstrand. Most of the successful 1st gen TransAm race cars had this modification done to them, however, as I said, it was only a crutch. Later generations of Camaros had better geometry desin=gned in from the start.

If your front clip is that good, if I were you, I'd put it aside and not modify it. It could be either worth a LOT of money to a restorer, or if you want to return your car to "stock" some day, it would be nice to have.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yes I am going to use my stock subframe but want to go with a different set of A arms for the geometry issue mentioned above. I thought the stock C5 arms would remedy this, but have heard nothing either way.
I have checked out some of the companies listed above. The car will be a street driven car that occasionally sees track use. I want it to handle side to side close to what a C5, C6 Vette handles like. I have owned a C5 and now have a C6, and I love the tightness of these cars. I don't want the Camaro feeling like a boat coming out of the C6. Know what I mean?
I asked the original question about lowering because I am concerned with how the car will handle with drop spindles compared to just using the Hal adjustable shocks by them selves. My 1996 TA handles fine with the Hals up front and the stock spindles and it rides a little lower than stock, but with the poor handling of the stock 1st gen. Camaro, I really do not know what it best in this case.

thanks

Quick Reply: lowering 1st gen. Camaro