Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Broken Shock Bolt... help?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 07:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Broken Shock Bolt... help?

I was taking the passenger side off, and had the 2 nuts, and one of the bolts off, almost there. So I put the socket on the other bolt, take one gentle turn, doesn't make it more than 30 degrees and the bolt snaps. Wonderful. The shock is out, that's fine, but is it worth trying to get the rest of the bolt out or just go with new "hats" (dunno wtf they are actually called). If I extract what's stuck in there, anyone have any idea what thread size it is? Thanks in advance...

-J
Old 08-19-2008, 08:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Thumbs up

Just drill it out, those "Hats" are pricey!

Don't know the size bit you need, just start small and go from there!
Old 08-19-2008, 08:31 PM
TECH Addict

Yea that's what I'll probably do. Thankfully it was a bolt and NOT one of the studs that broke. I'll take the one good bolt to home depot and see what I can find. I saw the dealer price on the hats and just about fell over. The nut on the sway bar end link was SMOKING when I was taking it off with a ratchet, not even an impact. I'll have to go get one of those too

-J
Old 08-19-2008, 10:54 PM
TECH Addict

Tell me about it - NJ winters are horrible for our cars in terms of rusting things into place. My top shock nut was 1/2 disintegrated when I did mine!
Old 08-20-2008, 02:36 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah i bet it was a bitch. i just got done putting a set of stranos on my car and my stuff was all rusted and i live in California and the car has spent its entire life here.

I suggest trying to drill it then use an easy out to get it out then replace it once you match the bolt. also try using some anti seezing compound on the nuts and bolts so next time you wont have as much rust, or paint everything so that it wont rust thats what i did.
Old 08-20-2008, 02:39 PM
TECH Addict

^^ Yea I could imagine the sea-air and whatnot wouldn't help out there in CA either. I will head to the store today to stock up on anti-sneeze and a new swaybar endlink. I was told to put some of that on there or I would imagine marine grease would work in a similar fashion...?

Hopefully the easy-out works, don't really feel like plunking down 50+ for a new upper strut mount

-J
Old 08-20-2008, 05:51 PM
TECH Addict

OK now I'm baffled... besides the nut being rusted to the shaft/rubber boot/everything in the world, how would I even go about getting a box wrench on there? And they are two different sizes, one is 15mm, and one is 17mm... they couldn't have been changed before, could they have ? Any tips/tricks are welcome...

-J

Last edited by lastcall190; 08-20-2008 at 07:24 PM.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:24 PM
TECH Addict

Well took a hacksaw and hacked the shaft of the shock. Success. Until I can't get the top part out of the spring because of that stupid ******* metal "shroud" that is attached to the rubber boot (what's holding it on there, besides years of fusing itself together). Cut that ****** off?

-J

Quick Reply: Broken Shock Bolt... help?