Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Will aftermarket sway bars make any difference?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 12:08 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will aftermarket sway bars make any difference?

Hey guys. I have an 01 T/A WS6 A4.

right now I have:

Lower Control Arms
Subframe Connectors
Adjustable Panhard Rod
Lid
Nitto 315's
Magnaflow exhaust

I plan on eventually lowering the card, getting headers, and maybe a torque converter later on down the road.

My question is this...will aftermarket sway bars (front and rear) make any difference on the road? Also, what about an adjustable torque arm?

I've been told the sway bars and torque arm aren't necessary for the plans I have for my car...but if I want it to handle better prior (and eventually after) the headers install...should I go ahead and get them?

Handling is my primary concern at the moment...I don't mind spending the extra cash on some handling before the headers...but will it actually help?

Also if it will..are there any specific brands better than others..and if I can only swing one sway bar at a time...should I go rear or front first?

Thanks for all the info guys.

BTW, this is my daily driver...I don't go to the track, nor race much. I just want to make the car drive/sound/go a little faster for my personal enjoyment.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'll leave it up to you if you want to upgrade the bars but my Strano 35mm front and 22mm rear were a noticeable upgrade over the stock bars that came on my SS.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:31 AM
Launching!

I got some Hotchkis swaybars (front+rear) at a very good price, and bolted them on not really expecting a noticeable difference since I rarely push my cornering to the max.

However, there was definitely a very welcome difference in the way the car handles. It feels a lot more stable around high-speed turns, especially if the road isn't completely flat.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Since you have the WS6 you have a 32mm hollow front bar and a 19mm solid rear. this setup is very neutral feeling through the turns. There are definite gains to be had with a 35mm front and a 22mm hollow or 21mm solid rear bar. I'd suggest the Strano combo mentioned before. All that being said I'd probably upgrade your shocks and springs first. I have the Koni 4/3 shocks and strano springs and I would recommend that above anything else. I've had the bilstein shock hotchkis spring combo and even the koni 4/4's with the same springs but that doesn't even compare. The 4/4's were great but honestly for the price difference the 4/3's are the better buy. Be warned though, the price is going up on the Koni's very soon. Also what LCA's do you have? If you have poly/poly lca's you may want to reconsider that part. They will cause a bind in the rear which effectively causes the car to act like it has a larger rear sway bar. You could "tune around" that by adding a bigger front bar but the right way would be to go with something that allows the arms to articulate.
Old 08-22-2008, 06:43 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TA-Swede
I got some Hotchkis swaybars (front+rear) at a very good price, and bolted them on not really expecting a noticeable difference since I rarely push my cornering to the max.

However, there was definitely a very welcome difference in the way the car handles. It feels a lot more stable around high-speed turns, especially if the road isn't completely flat.
Are you also running that Hotchkis rear bar that is 25mm? Because if you are that bar is too big. The front at 36.5 mm is fine.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DamnWS6
Hey guys. I have an 01 T/A WS6 A4.
right now I have:

Lower Control Arms
Subframe Connectors
Adjustable Panhard Rod
Lid
Nitto 315's
Magnaflow exhaust

Handling is my primary concern at the moment...I don't mind spending the extra cash on some handling before the headers...but will it actually help?
If handling is your primary concern fix the weakest link first, the stock shocks. I did my mods all separately, and while the swaybars made a big difference the shocks made the biggest difference. Its not just an improvement in overall grip, but its balance, feel, and way better/easier to control.
And if the nittos are only on the rear they arn't helping any with handling...
Old 08-22-2008, 09:25 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes they will be a BIG benifit to your car and look into a new torque arm as well
Old 08-22-2008, 09:40 AM
TECH Resident

Let me look for a link that mit help
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...llow+sway+bars

Read post #4

Last edited by 5301113; 08-22-2008 at 09:51 AM.