Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

UMI Torque Arm Install Qs

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 01:32 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default UMI Torque Arm Install Qs

Well I am about to install my tunnel mounted torque arm from UMI tomorrow and I had a few questions.

1) The plates that connect the arm to the brance on the front end have a set of two holes in them, one at the top and one closer to the middle. Which set should I use? If it makes a difference, the car is at a stock ride height.

2) When using the 8x30mm bolts that come with the kit to attach the brace to the tunnel, should anything else be used to secure them? They only come with washers, but no nuts or anything.

3) I assume by looking at UMIs site, I should use the outer set of holes to connect to the stock rear. Is this correct?

Thanks a lot for all the help.
Old 10-11-2008, 06:31 PM
12 Second Club

Anyone know the answer to question one, Im installing mine right now. Trying to finish so I can go to the track tonight.
Old 10-11-2008, 07:48 PM
Launching!

Post UMI Adjustable Torqure Arm

I called UMI when i installed mine,
they stated for the factory suspension w/10bolt that the 2 outer holes are best. so the middle hole/s are not used.

I had a little snag...
on my drive shaft i found that the balance weight would hit the bolt head. that attachs the outer joints to the torque arm and brace
i tried slightly move the brace more to the left, i also checked my adjustable Panhard rod but it still wasnt enough.

i had to use the the bottom hole, and the middle hole to get the right amount of clearance. the best way to install and check is with suspension is (loaded)
also check rear end suspension travel, unloaded (this is the setp that made the bolt head make contact with the my drive shaft balance weight) since this will change throughtout driving i justed wanted to be sure i would never rip/tear the balance weight off my driveshaft.

most folks on here run the outer holes and are fine, so its a car-car setup.

Quick Reply: UMI Torque Arm Install Qs