Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Need help replacing lower ball joints

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 12:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Need help replacing lower ball joints

Alright I have never replaced the ball joints before and I need to do it before my tires get eaten. I plan on knocking them out after work on Thursday so that gives me about 3 hours of sunlight, is that enough time? Also is there anything special I should know when replacing them? I'm gonna use my friends ball joint press that he uses at Sears so I will have the tool necessary. How hard is it to actually press the old one out and the new one in?
Old 09-03-2008, 02:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you truly have a ball joint press, it shouldn't be a big deal. Most presses have a "square" or "hex" on the end of the screw. If you can get your hands on either a 15" crescent wrench, or if the screw is a hex, the corresponding socket and a BIG breaker bar, you should be good to go.

Just get the press on the B/J squarely and go to town with the wrench. If it doesn't press out with just the compression of the tool, leave the tool in place and cranked up, and give the tool a slight hit with a hammer. Don't go nuts with the hammer just a few taps. If it won't pop out at that point, tighten the screw some more, and tap a little more. Repeat as necessary....

When pressing in the new B/J, put a little lube on it's OD, and then the main thing is to get it set in plce SQUARELY before you start cranking it in. Don't use the hammer for installation.

Good luck!
Old 09-03-2008, 03:16 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All I can say is I watched my mechanic neighbor struggle for 3 hours to replace my left BJ, the broblem being that the replacement is intentionally designed to be oversized to make up for any wear in the arm intelf and my arm had no where. I took the car to a shop to have the right BJ done and they charged me for 3 hours of time (they charge by actual time, not book). I didn't ask why it took so long, but I can imagine they had the same problem.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:09 PM
TECH Veteran

I've removed/installed more ball joints than I care to remember. NONE of them took 3 hours. In fact, doing ALL FOUR barely takes 3 hours!

So much for your "neighbor" and the shops you patronize....
Old 09-04-2008, 11:47 AM
TECH Addict

Sounds easy enough. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything special I should know.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:03 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by porksoda
Sounds easy enough. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything special I should know.

Pork, did you get those B/Js in yet?
Old 09-08-2008, 07:17 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Pork, did you get those B/Js in yet?
Old 09-08-2008, 09:10 PM
TECH Addict

Did one and quit. LOL I proved to myself that I could do it and that was good enough for me. The very next day I let my friend at the shop do the other side for $35.