Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Lookn at whole suspension kits

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 04:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Lookn at whole suspension kits

How is this UMI kit http://www.umiperformance.com/FBR003?category_id=162

Does anyone have it? and is it worth the money? Any input would be awesome!

Thanks!!!
Old 09-04-2008, 04:51 PM
TECH Junkie

It's got a lot of good stuff in it. I'm not sure if it gives you a discount on all those parts, but if it doesn't you might be better off just buying each piece one by one.

If you think you'll do 17x11 wheels someday, I'd go with a double adjustable phb or at least an on car adjustable one.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This is a good kit. It's basically the strano kit + the relocation brackets + the Sub frame connectors, The relocation brackets would put your car up a class from ESP to CP. However, if you are not autocrossing it, that's no big deal.

Last edited by SilverGhost; 09-05-2008 at 03:33 PM. Reason: non sponsor info
Old 09-04-2008, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

UMI is having a 10% off sale until the middle of September. I would recheck the prices for a few of those parts if you will be buying soon.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:22 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello,

Yes we are having a 10% off sale until the 15th

If you are interested or have any questions please ask. The 10% off does exclude our FBR kits but we can work you up a price for individual items which might be a better savings. Also Strano items are on a long backorder right now so we can come up with some different options if needed.

Thank you!
Ryan
Old 09-05-2008, 11:20 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Everyone has packages.... I have some on my website as well. However, I'm not usually a huge fan of them because not every car or person needs the same parts.

I don't at all consider anything on these cars a "must do" beyond a good set of shocks. Might you want to do them? Sure. Could other parts be useful? Sure, but I can't know that until I know what we are trying to effect as far as how the car drives.

And yes... at the current time we are out of springs and will not have more for quite a while. However, there are options out there for springs. Some suck, but there are some that are quite good.

Swaybars are in limbo. A small order came in and out, but not even enough to cover current backorders (for the front, we have some 22mm rears). We are looking at options here to make sure folks can get a reasonably priced, well matched bar set.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 09-06-2008, 05:59 PM

It really depends upon your intended use for the car. I drag set up is vastly different than an Auto-X set up. Street car with improved handeling would be another cas as well. I would add adjustable LCA's & torque arm to that kit.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

These two guys are the only ones you should buy from, period.
Shocks first, do shocks FIRST.
If you do all this at once, you will be driving a new car that handles FAR better than new.
Old 09-07-2008, 01:51 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Since many of the components in that kit are out of stock, let me suggest an alternative kit that is very similar.

Here is a pic of the BMR Fabrication Handling Package #2:

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/4F-PACKAGES.htm

It has all of the same components, plus an extra part. It is also $300-$500 cheaper depending on options. In addition, the BMR parts are in stock and can ship today.

Here are some of the technical reasons why the BMR Handling Package is a great package for the autocross enthusiast:

The BMR Front 1" Lowering Spring has a linear working spring rate of 550 pounds per inch. This is the EXACT SAME SRING RATE of our competitor's front lowering spring. BMR springs are manufactured in the USA from high tensile silicone chrome steel. Our spring manufacturer makes springs for many of the NASCAR teams and they use the same spring material!!

The BMR Rear 1" Lowering Spring has a linear working spring rate of 170 pounds per inch. This spring rate is STIFFER than our competitor's spring. This stiffer rear spring works well with our stiffer rear sway bar to give you a vehicle that will stick to the road without sacrificing driveability. The spring material used in BMR springs is specially formulated to quickly return to its original shape after a bounce.

The BMR Front Sway bar has a beefy 32mm diameter that minimizes body roll even under hard cornering conditions. It is much stiffer than the stock 30mm hollow bar.

The BMR Rear Sway Bar has a solid 22mm diameter with a SECTION MODULUS that is 59% higher than a stock sway bar for a more aggressive suspension and better handling car. This solid 22mm sway bar is also stiffer and more aggressive than our competitor's sway bar.

The BMR Handling Package #2 comes standard with an ON-CAR adjustable panhard rod. The other package requires you to fork-out a few extra bucks for that option. You definitely want this adjustability no matter which package you go with.

The Tokico shock is a great shock for the price. These shocks are on tons of F-bodies and you rarely hear somone complain about them. If you have a purpose-built autocross race car, then you should buy the Konis. However, the Tokico is a great shock for both the daily driver and the weekend auto-cross car.

Other components are very similar, but the BMR Handling Package also comes with a Driveshaft Tunnel Brace for extra rigidity.

The BMR Handling Package #2 features components that are equal or better than the competition. The price is $300-$500 cheaper. The BMR parts are in stock and will ship today!!! Why wait until next year to upgrade your suspension?? There is still plenty of summer left this year!

Allan Miller
President
BMR Suspension
www.bmrsuspension.com
(813) 986-9302

Last edited by BMR Suspension; 09-07-2008 at 02:07 PM.
Old 09-07-2008, 03:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

In the BMR picture the springs look like they are progressive rate. Are they actually progressive rate springs, or straight rate springs?
Old 09-07-2008, 05:36 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't be fold by pricing when putting together a kit... the Koni shocks are much better shock in both performance and ride quality compared to a set of Tokico shocks, hence the reason the pricing is much higher. They also feature a limited life time warranty and are virtually one of the best shocks designed for the F-Body.

Unfortunately the Strano Performance items are extremely popular and sell faster then we can put them in stock... but they have proven to be some of the best components on today's market.

If I can help anymore please ask and I will be glad too. Thank you!

Ryan
Old 09-07-2008, 06:12 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by Major_Lee_Slow
In the BMR picture the springs look like they are progressive rate. Are they actually progressive rate springs, or straight rate springs?
Good Observation!!

The BMR springs are NOT progressive springs after they are installed. Although they are a dual rate spring before they are installed, the weaker section achieves coil bind at a very low corner weight. Thus, the body only sees the effect of the stronger portion of the spring, even under extreme driving situations. We call this a linear working rate spring.

This is actually a common design. The rear spring in our competitor's package is also a linear working rate spring.

Keep the tech questions coming. That's the best part of this forum!!

Allan Miller
President
BMR Suspension
www.bmrsuspension.com
(813) 986-9302
Old 09-10-2008, 04:16 PM
Teching In

Well the BMR looks nice but i would like the Bolt-on tubular 3 point sub-frame connectors and rear control arms, if that possible. And one quick, but probably obvious, question is the springs lower the car 1" right?

Quick Reply: Lookn at whole suspension kits