Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Best Shocks?/springs?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 09:55 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Best Shocks?/springs?

i have bilsteins right now with eibach pro kit drop springs and i feel every damn bump in the road..i hate that crap..what kit is best? who is running what/where did you get them/ how much?
Old 09-07-2008, 09:57 AM
12 Second Club

a cpl people toldme koni/strano set up but i didnt get part numbers or which ones?
Old 09-07-2008, 10:21 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Strano SP141 springs, and koni single adj shocks. Strano springs are on backorder right now but im pretty sure there was a set in the for sale section of the board. Great springs and they very well could be gone by now. But here are the links to the strano site for those parts. This is probably the best place to get 4th gen suspension parts.
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...ID=0&ModelID=7
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...ID=0&ModelID=7
Old 09-07-2008, 10:28 AM
12 Second Club

so that is the best set up then the koni/stranos? and thanks for the links !!!
Old 09-07-2008, 10:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

^^^ yep.
Old 09-07-2008, 12:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Check out my website under the R&D section for a comprehensive list of suspension components that are well suited for a DD/autox car.
http://www.mlsmotorracing.com
Old 09-07-2008, 12:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Black FormulaLs1
so that is the best set up then the koni/stranos? and thanks for the links !!!

Yes it is. Ive just got the springs but its still one hell of a setup with only those. I cant wait to get my konis though.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Koni's are the best upgrade I've done to my entire suspension. I've used other shocks and they are just in a whole different league. The car never feels unsettled even over rough terrain, and much more controllable through the turns. I think I'm going to back down my fronts one sweep, but that's what's nice, you can change the shocks for your needs. The other adjustables on the market are nowhere near the quality of the Koni's. I went with the Strano springs this time and I couldn't be happier, but they are out of stock at the moment. I didn't really have any issues with my old Hotchkis springs but I definitely prefer the Strano's.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I will be going with Hotchkis/Billsteins myself...why? My car is not a racer, nor a daily driver....just an ocasional cruiser. I dont see why I should spend more than a $1000 dollars on shocks/springs...Im not a cheap *** either! I could get Konis or coilovers but dont see the need.

Im not hating on the Stranos or the Konis or anything BTW. Before the Strano's era here at LS1TECH the most sought off suspension combination was Hotchkis/Billsteins.

Anyways almost any shock is better than the DeCarbons!
Old 09-07-2008, 10:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

The hotchkis bilstein combo is not a bad combo, just not perfect. For what you are wanting it will do just fine. The only downside is the bils won't last as long with drop springs and can't quite control them properly but it is lightyears ahead of the stock suspension setup.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:35 PM
TECH Resident

i have bilsteins right now with eibach pro kit drop springs and i feel every damn bump in the road..i hate that crap..what kit is best? who is running what/where did you get them/ how much?
so what are you crying about? go back to the stock suspension if it's too rough.

Best in what term? Handling, will usually be stiffer. If you go Strano though, the rear spring rates are pretty low. So that might help you out.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Really, you have a shock problem. If these are Bilsteins that are simply combined with the pro kit, then that's because the valvings aren't appropriate for anything other than the OE springs. Sam Strano has noted this quite a bit around this forum, and I've experienced exactly what he's mentioned, before I moved onto something else.

Now, I like others do prefer the Koni/strano spring combo, however if you were to opt for the Koni's alone, your "felling every damn bump in the road" will pretty much end up being "a bump here and there." (of course dependant on what roads you're driving on). My reason for prefering the items Sam promotes around here so much, is that they're the items that generally make the vehicle more consistent and comfortable to drive, yet are direct replacement (e.g. practically "bolt-in" and no unecessary hacking.)

Your best option is to wait for Sam to chime in, and he's probably at the SCCA Nationals at the moment. He can consult with you and determine if you're simply desiring a more optimal shock, or maybe a combination of other things to replace. It's hard, but it's worth the wait, IMHO.
Old 09-08-2008, 04:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Foxxtron
Really, you have a shock problem. If these are Bilsteins that are simply combined with the pro kit, then that's because the valvings aren't appropriate for anything other than the OE springs. Sam Strano has noted this quite a bit around this forum, and I've experienced exactly what he's mentioned, before I moved onto something else.

Now, I like others do prefer the Koni/strano spring combo, however if you were to opt for the Koni's alone, your "felling every damn bump in the road" will pretty much end up being "a bump here and there." (of course dependant on what roads you're driving on). My reason for prefering the items Sam promotes around here so much, is that they're the items that generally make the vehicle more consistent and comfortable to drive, yet are direct replacement (e.g. practically "bolt-in" and no unecessary hacking.)

Your best option is to wait for Sam to chime in, and he's probably at the SCCA Nationals at the moment. He can consult with you and determine if you're simply desiring a more optimal shock, or maybe a combination of other things to replace. It's hard, but it's worth the wait, IMHO.
This is the best answer so far. I suggest you listen to this advice.

Quick Reply: Best Shocks?/springs?