Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Clunking From Rear

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 08:18 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunking From Rear

My 2001 Camaro SS has a clunking sound that is coming from the rear...I have a moser 9 inch installed and cannot figure where the sound is coming from...If i have someone push up and down on the rear the sound doesnt occur,it only happens while driving over a bump in the road...I have trying to figure this out for a long time
Old 09-09-2008, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

as I stated in a previous post about your issues, there are only so many things that can cause this. First thing first, check the tightness of your lower control arm bolts, shock bolts, and panhard rod. If you have an adjustable panhard rod, make sure the jam nuts are tight, mine came loose twice before I got some loctite and serious muscle behind them.

If your car has control arm relocation brackets or subframe connectors, check those too...bolt in relo-brackets and SFC's are notorious for coming loose.

It may be time consuming, but you just have to get under there and check stuff out. We aren't in your car, can't hear it or touch it...you kinda just have to go after it.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:36 PM
12 Second Club

Do you have a stock PH bar or aftermarket? How many miles on it? My stock PH bar bushing went out and started to clunk in the rear. Good way to test this is too push against the passenger quarterpanel, and give it a good nudge. Do not bump it as you may dent it, but nudge it. As if you were trying to push the rear of the car to the left. See if this re creates the clunking sound. If so, bad PH bushing. Also check to see if your exhaust isnt bumping into anything.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:44 PM
On The Tree

You should also check the nuts and bolts on you torque arm. my car made this noise and i couldn't figure it out, then i finally seen the torque arm was loose. just me .02
Old 09-10-2008, 02:01 AM
TECH Regular

thanks for all the input guys, its kinda late at night so I will check everything you guys listed in the morning..The car is a 01 SS with about 69,000 miles and has a moser 9 inch, it has the stock panhard bar and all stock bilstein suspension,no subframe connectors

I have tried to nudge the car side to side and it was still silent, I have tried up and down and still no sound, which leaves me to believe that something is loose and the impact of a bump causes it to vibrate or make the sound,i wanna say the sound is coming from the right rear but when your sitting as a driver it is hard to say what side your hearing it from..
Old 09-10-2008, 02:03 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mrburnout81
You should also check the nuts and bolts on you torque arm. my car made this noise and i couldn't figure it out, then i finally seen the torque arm was loose. just me .02
I had this same thing happen on my car.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:55 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 1969NovaSS
I had this same thing happen on my car.

+1, im with ya
Old 09-10-2008, 10:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

All of what has been mentioned are valid points. The only thing I would also add would be to check to see if the torque arm is hitting the drive shaft tunnel. When they designed the bolt in 9 inch it has a slightly relocated torque arm mounting position. The torque arm is moved more towards the driver side of the vehicle which is already a tight fit. Usually it hits right where the torque arm bracket bolts to the rear end housing.

Good Luck!! and let me know if you have any other questions....
Old 09-10-2008, 01:05 PM
Launching!

my torque arm bolts were loose too, made squeaking noises, tightened those bitches up...I have a little clunking noise that I can feel from the center console when the car is going slow. But when I get on it goes away. Im thinking its the driveshaft hitting the tq arm..but barely.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:04 PM
TECH Regular

sorry I didnt update yesterday, but I checked all the bolts,panhard,torque arm,sway bar,shocks,lower control arm and everything is tight...I also checked everything else I could think of I even put some double sided tape on the license plate...So on the way to work I remembered I didnt check my brake lights and I think it might be that...Ill let you guys know tommorrow.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:12 PM
On The Tree

Also check your spare tire, jack. they might have worked themselves loose
Old 09-11-2008, 09:49 PM
TECH Regular

The brake light thing wasnt causing it like I thought, I have already checked the spare tire and jack..The sound is coming from the right rear for sure and It think it might be the spring..when the spring has no load and I move it a little it resembles the sound perfectly..The spring does have the hose mod done..

the best way to describe the sound would be bouncing a basketball from a quarter inch off the ground
Old 09-11-2008, 10:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are thumping on bumps it is most likely what Lee said. It was so bad on my Moser that I bought the Midwest Chassis rear, now I hit on the crossbar along the back of the Floor Pan
Old 09-11-2008, 11:06 PM
TECH Regular

ive ran my hand around the base of the torque arm and u joint...Ive been driving over bumps with my right rear and am pretty sure that side is causing it..I will check the tunnel again but the sound doesnt sound like metal on metal
Old 09-12-2008, 06:34 PM
TECH Regular

The last thing im going to try is to see if my heater hose mod went bad...Im hoping the hose wore out on the right side...
Old 10-17-2008, 04:31 PM
TECH Regular

For anyone checking this section..
1.The problem turned out to be the LCA's going bad...
They were tight but had just enough play in them to rattle like a ****...But theirs still a slight rattle from the right rear but not lca related
2.Also used 3 inch u bolt spacers from Truevalue to get rear end to clear sway
Old 10-18-2008, 03:36 PM
TECH Addict

If it's lowered, you may find what I just did. The rubber "snubbers" on each side hit. Gotta get smaller ones or shave them or something.
Old 10-18-2008, 03:41 PM
TECH Regular

check your exhaust as well, i had something and it was the exhaust hitting the floor near the rear end
Old 10-18-2008, 04:38 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks guys after a little bit more probing and pushing things , I some how started looking at the bolts on my brakes and turns out one caliper bolt was loose..So now about 95% of sound is gone..what remains is coming from the right rear when goin over big bumps
Old 10-18-2008, 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Car is currently doing the same thing, only mine has a stock rear.

Subscribing for later

Quick Reply: Clunking From Rear